Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Queen's Day Question
Posted: 2005-04-21, 8:29 pm

hotrod_iv
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
First, I want to say this board is great. I wish I'd found it earlier but people are really helpful. Thanks everyone.

This will be my first trip to Amsterdam. I will be there from Apr 27 through May 1. The timing was accidental and I have been reading about Queen's Day being a huge party with no trams running and millions of people. I like a party as much as anyone but I'm afraid everything will be totally overcrowed and inconvenient. Is that true or am I just getting old?
Re: Queen's Day Question
Posted: 2005-04-21, 9:16 pm

stuartsdog
its all ture for that day amsterdam is like mad when i say mad i mean mad !!!! chill you will love it ......
Posted: 2005-04-21, 10:46 pm

katertje78
Just act like the natives: be sure to wear something orange and get mildly drunk.
Posted: 2005-04-22, 12:29 am

newyork
queens day is a horrible mess. you can't walk 10 feet without having to push into someone. it takes an hour to walk one block. my advice: get out of there early; take the first train of the day to alkameer or den haag.
Posted: 2005-04-22, 2:19 am

biggo
we will be there too. you will be fine lots of people yes a mess yes but it's all good.one day of madness won't hurt anyone or the beautifull city. enjoy the party
Posted: 2005-04-22, 7:14 pm

jbronx
Hi all 2 Queensday questions Will it be crazy on Sunday or Monday? and Will I be able to get to the airport on Monday I assume by train as it sounds like taxis won't be able to run Thanks Jon
Posted: 2005-04-22, 10:37 pm

jackfla5h
20 of us are over in amsterdam for a stag weekend 29/4 - 1/5. Quite by accident that we booked for queens weekend. Ive been to Amsterdam 4 previous times and love the place. Ive heard queens is mad and one big party. My only worry is it will be too crowded and we wont be able to get in any where??!! Can anyone give afull account of the thing/places to go and places to avoid?
Cheers

ps cant wait!! weve all got out orange wigs and tshirts
Posted: 2005-04-22, 11:41 pm

dwiezel
Hmmm...

My wife and I will be meeting one of my brothers next week in Amsterdam. This trip was his idea and before you know it -- we were all booked up... Now I am having second thoughts -- we have never been to Amsterdam. I am thinking that perhaps we should have planned to be there when it was not so populated! We want to love Amsterdam as much everybody else in these forums but an overcrowded nightmare probably won't have that effect.

The concept of things being so crowded that you cannot even walk around is a bit disheartening. To make matters worse, the weather forecast is not so good.

We will go with the flow and if it seems prudent, vacate the city for a look around the country side...

Any thoughts on alternatives?
Posted: 2005-04-23, 2:34 am

mark3343
Check this out- www.whatsonwhen.com/video/eventpage.asp?event_id=44
Posted: 2005-04-26, 9:09 am

mrab
How would Queen's Day stack up to Mardi Gras in New Orleans?
Posted: 2005-04-26, 10:33 am

newyork
both cities provide ample opportunities to enjoy partying; although new orleans lacks the culture as well as the obvious advantage of greater permissiveness with drugs and sex in the netherlands. new orleans has better food and weather. both places become hell on their holidays. crowds are everywhere. takes an hour to walk across the street. can't find an available bathroom. this is fun? i don't get it.
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: