Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Anyone knows of a Good Bar in or near RLD
Posted: 2005-10-28, 8:58 am

logic
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I would like to know if any one recommends a nice bar in or near RLD that has nice atmosphere, not a rip off and overall safe and clean with reasonable prices ?
I used to go to the Grasshopper up untill they hiked up their beer prices and became a clear ripoff.

logic

Last edited by logic on 2005-11-04, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Anyone knows of a Good Bar in or near RLD
Posted: 2005-10-28, 3:47 pm

ToughFerret
Excalibur!!!
Posted: 2005-10-28, 4:09 pm

luther vandross
I like Hill Street Blues on Warmoestraat. Their regular price for a pint of lager is 2.90, but goes down to 2.30 or so during Happy Hour (sorry not sure about the time, but will check and get back to you.). Of course, you can smoke up with no problem. People are nice, the bar can get a little dirty during the night and their could be a dodgy pesson or two about, so mind your valuables.
On Haarlemerstraat, opposite the side where the RLD is, is a place called CoCo's. The front kind of always put me off, so I didn't go in at first, but finally did and discovered they have two Happy Hours per day, seven days a week. Pints of Grolsch in a big frosted mug are only 2.30 during this time. (5-6pm and 10-11pm) You can't smoke herb, but they do have pub food, and the place is more laid back than you would think by looking at the garish front. You can play pool upstairs and they show football (soccer) when it's on.

I've been here 9 weeks now, and they are they cheapest places I know for a pint.

Cheers!

Posted: 2005-10-28, 6:45 pm

martin6661
I second your choice EXCALIBER
Posted: 2005-10-28, 8:06 pm

stuarty1873Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Smoking bull bar most laid back bar in the land :-)
Its on lange niezel just off the warmoesstraat
www.smokingbull.nl
Posted: 2005-10-28, 9:20 pm

tonek
Excaliber
Posted: 2005-10-28, 11:20 pm

gezellig
Black Tiger
Posted: 2005-10-29, 1:52 am

StarrDluX
i like the black tiger... cept save for those fuckers who try to take your photo for a euro every five minutes. they are wicked annoying... oh and the stirrer things that jab you in the eye... those aren't fun either. :)

Posted: 2005-10-29, 2:12 am

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Perhaps the fun is to go and look. The beer is still only 2 Euros at the Royal Taste Bar on OZA and Michelle will talk the hind legs off a donkey.

If you go further afield East or west (towardsthe singel RLD) there are lots of traditional bars that are great.

Near Hotel Intel there is that Bar international place (Jacobsstraat?) run by the Half Indonesian girl with her Englsh boyfreind always arguing about how you can't get fish and chips in Amsterdam and "If London's so good why dont you live there" kind of thing, and they are good entertainment and the prices good. Wim will tell you about that place, but not tonight or tomorrow, since the professer is in FKK World with Fred and meself.
Posted: 2005-10-30, 8:20 am

TripSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Wim's a Goodbar. Oh wait, thats Mr. Goodbar.

The Globe has a nice beer selection and has plenty of room inside to spread out and relax.

De Pint next to the Stoof bar is a pretty decent spot to refresh.

Hi Luther V. Mr.CoCos was a herb friendly establishment in the past, did they change their policy ?
Posted: 2005-10-30, 8:56 am

Luther Head
I guess I was just making an assumption; I didn't ask, but will next time and I'll let you know. It just seems that the local police are enforcing the coffeeshop laws more strictly now. For example, last time I checked, the Barney's cafe a few doors down from the coffeeshop, had been told to stop the smoking there because they didn't have a coffeeshop license. It is now "Tote Hosen" as the Germans say (dead, or literally, dead pants).
Also, wanted to point out that the Tara, an Irish Pub on the Rokin, is a pretty cool place, especially if you are with a lady. It's huge inside, with one beautiful room with a fire place, which I will definitely visit once the winter winds kick in. The pub food is decent, but overpriced, and the drink prices are higher than in some of the dives, but again, a good place to take the ladies.
Posted: 2005-10-30, 10:31 am

TripSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi Luther,

That is interesting that the police have told Barneys annex to discontinue the herb smoking.
It seems that in the past it has always been tolerated for an establishment to determine its own policies re weed smoking- if I was Barneys annex I would challenge the situation. They are not selling at that location rather patrons are smoking their own, I don't see what the problem is, especially if they started checking ID's to ensure no one under 18 was present.

I too fancy Tara Irish Pub and they too have been herb friendly in the past. I wonder if they have been challenged as well.

If you could please check the policies re weed smoking at CoCos and Tara and report back I would appreciate it. La Grotte is near Barneys annex and one could always get baked at breakfast at noontime, I hope this has not changed. Maybe you could check their current policy as well.

When you hit Tara Irish Pub be sure to duck out the back entrance on Nes and scope out Nes Cafe Coffeeshop, they serve beer as well

If you have not been out to Haarlem yet or Alkmaar you should hop the train for a late afternoon trip. Lovely little cities. Hit willie wortels next to the station in Haarlem.
Posted: 2005-10-30, 12:29 pm

Luther Head
I will do the necessary intel and report back.
Yes, I have done the Haarlem trip a couple of times now and it is a nice alternative to A'dam. Once you get a handle on the city center, it is relatively simple to go from one Wortel's shop to another. I'll be heading back several times in the next ten months.
Posted: 2005-10-30, 2:22 pm

stuarty1873Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Think smoking is allowed upstairs in mr cocos but not downstairs not 100% shure though. Smoking is not allowed in the Globe bar i know that for shure.
Posted: 2005-11-01, 3:33 am

curiious
hmmm. not really a bar, a coffeeshop with beer...but I like having a beer at Dutch Flowers, not much more than a 10 minute walk to the rld, on the singel canal. They have 1/2 pint glasses of amstel for 1,40Euro and full pints for 1,50Euro. Is that the best deal for a pint? best i could find anyway

nice quiet local kind of place.
Posted: 2005-11-01, 6:25 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2005-11-01, 9:32 pm

ignatbandit
Check out Hunter's Vodka bar on Warmoestaat opposite Hunter's coffeeshop.

You can buy weed and hash from the coffeeshop (Hunter's has good stuff as many on here will testify) and you can smoke your purchases in the vodka bar across the road.

Very close to RLD.
Posted: 2005-11-02, 12:32 am

Earthly1hereSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Stone's Cafe by the old church and the Greenhouse behind the Dam! Good times at both, can smoke in both and prices are reasonable. Late at night the Stone's Cafe plays good music and the bartenders are hot!!!

Posted: 2005-11-02, 3:20 pm

Bonnie&ClydeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The Red Light Bar. Get a seat by the window and watch sexy Sara across the canal dance in her window. Watch, drink, smoke and then pay her a visit.
Bonnie
Posted: 2005-11-02, 3:42 pm

420 Power Kat
Ah,, the Red Light Bar! Now your talking :-) I believe Trip and I had a few beers on our first get together at this place, stoned, watching the girls dance across the canal swaying back and forth to the music.

Its the "Cat Bird Seat" in the Wallen

doei,

420 aka Lanrac

[ 22 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: