Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 32 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Political Discussions in Bars and Coffeeshops
Posted: 2005-11-05, 11:10 pm

420 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hey ABC

I was travelling Europe for 4 months from 11/01-3/02,, spent many nights in Nice, Villefranche, St. Tropez, and Paris,, actually was welcomed (ecspecially at Hotel Welcome) while in every country.

A year later I was in Amsterdam staying at an Iraqi owned Hotel (The France) on St Patricks day,, the day Bush declared war on Iraq. The proprietor of the France was very sympathetic to America and offered quite a discount for future visits.

Posted: 2005-11-06, 5:06 am

Cuckoo4wahoo
Weasel9x9????

Lol you mention Clinton before you talked about the current bush, the elder bush... and worst of all Reagan.. Funny your slanted conservative perspective stinks up this thread!
Posted: 2005-11-06, 6:37 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
First, leave Weasel alone. His post is not particularly conservative. It's more apolitical than anything else. He shows equal contempt for both parties. Plus, he actually put his ass on the line for his country. He's earned the right to express an opinion. And if W has contributed anything to the political landscape, he proves that you can do a LOT worse than Reagan. He even makes Carter look competent. Carter gave us Reagan, because he was basically ineffective as president. Had his leadership abilities matched his intellect, he could've been great. But c'est la vie. He was the last truly moral man to be President, but that means nothing in a corrupt, immoral system. I disagree with Weasel about Clinton, but I have to wonder how much better he would've been without the vast right wing conspiracy (Yes, Hillary was right) trying to bring him down any way they could. But then again, who among us could stand up to that kind of onslaught. I'm not much for the "look at everyone else" defense of our policies, because we're supposed to be setting the standard. What happens with us affects the whole world. So, what happens here is not quite the same as what happens in Cuba. I still love my country, but sometimes I'm embarassed by it. But the ability to change is built in to our foundation. So, I always have hope.
Posted: 2005-11-06, 7:34 am

Rembrandt
Mojo,

I don't mind talking about world politics with those I meet while on vacation. I appreciate unbiased opinions on most subject matter including, but not limited to, politics.
As you have acurrately stated, one needs to be careful as to how one expresses his/her
political and religious beliefs in mixed company on anothers home turf.
Yes, Dubya sucks and we all know it. By the way, what is your sisters phone #?

Rembrandt

I will be in Holland on Tuesday. I will have a toke in your honor at the Excalibur.
Posted: 2005-11-06, 8:35 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sorry I didn't get right back. So busy listening to Rush and watching Fox News while writing huge checks to the Republican National Party!

First, you gotta love a site where the the topic list starts with pierced tongues and follows with American foreign policy. My sincerest thanks to all.

I have put a lot of thought into this, and believe I have the answer. From now on, all Americans must wear a card around their neck listing their voting record. In addition to the candidates name, you must confess your champions most ignoble failure. If your record is truly awful, you may be refused service at windows and coffeeshops. And for every American that does not vote, a non-American gets to give it a whirl!

Weasel

Posted: 2005-11-06, 2:21 pm

greta
Rembrandt wrote:

>Dubya sucks and we all know it.

I'm not apolitical but when I'm in Amsterdam I kinda want to get away from all the politics that we have on TV 24/7

Fortunatley most European guys I'v encountered have other things on their mind when we're talkin ;-)

But here's how I would deal with complaints about Dubya being raised by Euro-guys while I'm in my fave city

(and these only work for a girl!)

yeah Bush sucks. But I suck better!

and

Forget THAT Bush - get into MY bush!

Just to keep this bi-partisan - my quibble with Clinton was that he MISSED! There are better places to land than on a dress...

greta

spray sticky thoughts on me at gretaah@hotmail.com
Posted: 2005-11-06, 5:20 pm

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
>>Fortunatley most European guys I'v encountered have other things on their mind when we're talkin ;-) <<

That's odd, because the first thing I always think of when I see a woman with a cum glazed face and her dress hiked up around her waist is "I wonder how she feels about the current political situation in America." But that's just me. ;-)
Posted: 2005-11-06, 6:50 pm

greta
you know those Euro guys... so shallow. Thank god!

greta

spray sticky thoughts on me at gretaah@hotmail.com
Posted: 2005-11-07, 7:47 pm

mojoworksSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Rembrandt, have agood time amigo. Try and hook up with Gato De Padre if your trips overlap. A full trip report is expected.

You wouldn't want my sister phone number, she is old and tired now.

Peace,

Mojo
Posted: 2005-11-07, 9:01 pm

mrab
Mojo,

The fact that you don't like Bush or his policies but still claim him as your president and refrain from criticizing him when on foreign soil speaks to your character.

You can sit at my table any time.
Posted: 2005-11-10, 8:40 am

Swinginpoet
My point is somewhat difficult to make
But there is a notion in this thread that I just can't take.
While traveling abroad, it seems to me
Keeping silent is not a virtue that I can see.

Patriotism all but requires dissent
Based on the words of a man who's picture helps pay my rent
And pointing out that we don't all agree with Bush
Helps to keep the image of our nation from takin' it in the tush.

When a family member is obviously broken
Denying so with silence is no positive token
Admit the obvious and state the issue
Only then can a solution be applied that isn't just tissue.

In a nation that prides itself on free speech
Keeping one's tongue is no trip to the beech.
Of your opinion be proud
And remember that around here kings are not allowed.

President or not, the truth must still be told
And keeping silent helps to do so not at all
If I may be so bold.

Swingin'poet
Posted: 2005-11-10, 10:43 am

withnail Power Kat
i wasnt going to join in this thread given that it has zero to do with amsterdam BUT i should point something out. the france hotel, mentioned by james, is actually Israeli owned, not iraqi.

now lets talk about amsterdam, girls, windmills, dope, clogs or whatever....

doog!

withnail
 [ 32 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: