Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Living the dream....
Posted: 2005-12-04, 10:42 am

thedeno
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
HI there,

I've been a long time lurker here....and I've found alot of useful tips and info here that I've used during previous trips......(Sabrina, Jessica.....)....

Well, I'm actually moving to Amsterdam in 2 weeks. I got a job over there......a nice paying one.....I currently live in Chicago (born and raised), but I've taken advantage of my parents' heritage (born in Ireland), and I've gotten an Irish passport.....so it makes working there much easier...

I plan on landing there Dec. 16......then I'll look for a place and move in (company is setting me up and moving my stuff).....I love Amsterdam....and not just for the red light women and the drugs.....I really love the vibe of the city.....I'm sooooo relaxed when I'm there....

So.....if any fellow members of this board wanna contact me while in Amsterdam, that would be cool....we can compare scorecards...lol.....I'd love to hear from some natives, or other expats.... It would be cool to hang with some fellow.....enthusiasts :)

Wish me luck!
Re: Living the dream....
Posted: 2005-12-04, 4:04 pm

SunLover
Not just good luck, great luck with your new adventure. I think
we have all dreamed the dream of living in Amsterdam for an
extended period of time. Living/working vs. vacation is different
though, you will be able to contribute an interesting perspective
to the forum.

Is your assignment for a fixed period or open ended?

SunLover
Posted: 2005-12-05, 9:18 am

thedeno
It's open ended....so who knows, it could be permanent.

I do realize that living there will be a whole different ballgame.....I do plan to experience the pleasures available in A'dam, but who could afford to do so constantly.....but it's nice to know it's there when it's needed.

I'll try to be a more active poster here, and share my experiences. This is a great board, and a great community, so I hope to give back for what I've learned here.

Again, I'd love to meet up with any other natives/expats/visitors and have some fun, so just drop me a line.
Posted: 2005-12-06, 7:51 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Awesome! I wish you well. I really like the city as well. For some reason it looks familiar to me. I feel comfortable there. It's like "did I live a previous life here?" or something. It just feels Right to walk down the streets of Amsterdam.

With my oilfield experience I'm pretty sure I could get a company sponsorship. I don't know if my German birth would help, but it might not matter because of the "skilled foreigner" or whatever they call that loophole in the immigration laws.

OTOH, I don't think my wife would be too thrilled with the amount of time that I spent in the RLD. And she may wonder where the money is going.

Oh, well. You have a good time, ya hear?

the dogs
envious as always
Posted: 2005-12-06, 10:02 pm

markcheech
have a GREAT time!!! I had the great opportunity to work in A'dam for 4 months. Woke up everyday.. wake and bake.. went to work for 9. All the directors and managers left every day at 4p to get to their favorite by 4:20... left them about 5:30 then headed back to my place.. well I would always stop off at the grey area every single day.. weekends.. just a blur..

have a blast!!!
Posted: 2005-12-07, 1:57 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hmmmmm,
Trading Rogers Park for the Jordan, Ukranian village for the Wallen? Sounds tough. If you get homesick, I'll bring you some Vienna All-Beefs in February.

Weasel

Posted: 2005-12-07, 2:27 am

freakpa
Dude, if he wants Vienna's he can go to the factory in Austria ;)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA I slay me.
Posted: 2005-12-07, 6:53 am

thedeno
I won't be homesick for this 9 degree F weather!

How about you bring over some White Castles?.....or some REAL pizza!
Posted: 2005-12-07, 9:32 am

tigger2
"All the directors and managers left every day at 4p to get to their favorite by 4:20... left them about 5:30 then headed back to my place.. well I would always stop off at the grey area every single day.. weekends.. just a blur.. "

i have the same thing here, mark......it's too easy......great fun but i spend far too much money on it.

ho hum ;)
Posted: 2005-12-08, 3:27 am

Mako
Most awesome...perfect title for this thread.

I was there for 2 months and decided I must get back. You have an excellent opportunity to ...."Live the dream"

it was honor and offer.
Posted: 2005-12-08, 6:14 am

vicgoo
Hey dano, i,m originally from Chi town.I moved to LA in 1979,then to Honolulu in 2001.The areas i lived in-growing up ,near the corner of Rush St and Walton in the building which is now the Le Colonial restaurant,my family owned the business before it,then in Edgebrook near Lincolnwood,finally before i moved to Cali in uptown near Clark and Foster.

I was planning on moving to Amsterdam right after you on 12/23 using the Dutch-American friendship treaty-a bit more red tape than your way, but i was willing to stick it out until -if you read my post on GFE-real or fake, the girl i was with here in Hawaii who is a Nina on thr Tromp look alike,same age and all came back with me and now she,s out of that scene and got a regular job,so i,ll stay here and see how it works out this time!Maybe it,s because i don,t want to leave the nice weather here behind-85 degrees as i,m writing!

Btw i like White Castle but my favorite fast food in Chicago is Sammy,s hotdogs especially the original on Division St near La Salle.When in Amsterdam it,s definately Febo,s,my 2 favorites,on Reguiellierstraat near the internet cafe in Rembrandtplein and the one in the RLD on OZA Also are you old enough to remember Dino,s pizza on Chesnut- i worked there talking about pizza

Posted: 2005-12-11, 9:47 am

thedeno
Hey Vic,

Hello to a fellow Chicagoan.....I don't blame you for leaving Hawaii....this week has been cold and snowy here (6+ inches of snow).......I won't be missing that!

I'm originally from the SW side.....now I live on the northside, near Wrigley....not too familiar with the Downtown/Division area....

Damn, I'll miss Chicago pizza......but I guess the New York Pizza will fill the gap at the wee hours....lol.....but I must say, I do love a good tosti kaas......mmmmm.....

Well, in 5 days I'll be living in Amsterdam......I must have done something really good in a previous life....lol....

In reading the other threads, it sounds like there are some from this board that live and play in Amsterdam.....I'd love to meet up with you guys sometime and enjoy the town.....

See ya soon!
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: