Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Old Quarter vs. Old Nickel
Posted: 2005-12-11, 9:20 pm

soylent Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Anyone here have any experience with either of these hotels? Security and 24 hour access are my primary concerns.
Re: Old Quarter vs. Old Nickel
Posted: 2005-12-11, 9:37 pm

TIM
I've stayed at both of them. I've stayed at the Old Nickel several times & OQ once. I prefer the Old Nickel because I think it's cosier, the staff are friendlier , as is the bar. I'm unsure about 24hr access but I think they have someone on duty to let you in most of the night. The single bedrooms are tiny but adequate and there is a wash-hand basin. No security in the room i.e. no safe. You keep your valuables with you or hide them somewhere! Use your imagination for that: you'd be surprised the places I find in rooms to hide stuff. I'd have stayed at the ON next year but I'm splashing out on luxury: the Luxer around the corner! Fire away if you have any specific questions & I'll try to answer.
Posted: 2005-12-11, 11:00 pm

soylent Power Kat
Hey thanks. That covered a lot. Anyone here know of any other budget hotels with 24 hour access?
Posted: 2005-12-11, 11:07 pm

amsterdamfan
winston hotel has good rates mate >>>>>>>

http://www.winston.nl/
Posted: 2005-12-12, 2:03 am

Larry
The Kap Hotel near the Heineken Brewery issues every guest a high security (one that a locksmith can't copy) key to the front door for 24 hour access. There's no room safe but they have lock boxes at the front desk.

The 2 star hotel's off season singles are EUR 44 and include a killer breakfast bufett.
See www.kaphotel.nl
Posted: 2005-12-12, 5:08 am

soylent Power Kat
Also wondering how people book their hotel generally. I noticed most budget hotels in Amsterdam don't have websites and the only way you can reserve a room is through a booking website such as bookings.nl. I've never dealt with one of these sights so I'm unsure of their reliability. I would hate to get all the way to Adam and have the hotel tell me they're booked because the website I used was unreliable. Phone numbers for these hotels doesn't seem to be generally included either which certainly doesn't help research.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 5:26 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I've had good experiences with bookings.nl. I had to change a reservation I'd made with them and they couldn't of been more helpful. The emails I got from them included the actual phone number of an actual person to call in case I had any problems.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 6:50 am

GrijpstraSupporting Member
Supporting Member
bookings.nl is a great service.
I just got a positive response through them for a requested room change and the one time I have had a problem with a reservation in Amsterdam they acted as my advocate with the hotel.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 8:44 am

Oliver7xx
Try all-hotels.com Type in Amsterdam and you are away. 2* upwards. I use them often and have never had a problem.

7 days and counting.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 4:31 pm

Larry
I've never had any trouble finding a phone number or e mail address for the hotels I've tried to book. I find it much better to talk directly to the hotel desk than to allow some computer find me a room. My first trip I tried and tried to book a hotel using various booking services and the results were always no rooms available. In desperation I phoned the Kap, my first choice, that 3 booking services had refused me and was immediately able to get a room for the 10 days I had planned.
I mentioned my plight to the desk clerk and he explained that the only problem was that the for weekend portion of my request he had no singles available but he had just put me into a double those two days (at the single price). That's the kind of presonal service a human can offer that apparently non of the computers had been programmed to do. Also many hotels only allow a portion of their rooms to be booked by computerized booking services.

If you do want to use a booking service I would reccommend the one that AXXXTW has on their pages. It helps support this superb site.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 5:08 pm

boxer123
Agree with Larry , dealing direct has always worked for me. The ON and OQ are of course under the same ownership. The OQ being the slightly more upmarket of the two. Both are IMO OK but only that. You might want to take a look at www.hotelcornerhouse.nl they are cheap and have 24/7 entrance staff. No breakfast ,although there are plenty of options nearby.
Posted: 2005-12-12, 10:55 pm

kermabun
I too have never had a problem when booking through sites such as bookings.nl. There was one instance where the site (not sure which booking site it was) did not mention a credit card surcharge I was required to pay, but they added it to the site within a day of my bringing it to their attention.
With regard to the Old Nickel vs. Old Quarter, I personally prefer the old nickel. I have returned very late some nights (mornings) and have had no trouble getting in. The Sipermann is also quite cheap, located less centrally, just off Liedesplein, but easy to get to, quiet and 24 hour access via security keys.
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: