Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
American Amsterdam Hotel
Posted: 2006-01-04, 4:47 pm

vespino
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi folks, I'm about to come to AMSTRD.
I used to go to The Acro Hotel! this time I decided to upgrade a little bit, so why not, i decided for the American Amsterdam Hotel very close to Leidsplein!
Has anyone info about it?
Re: American Amsterdam Hotel
Posted: 2006-01-04, 6:05 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-01-04, 8:06 pm

shindoni
My wife and I stayed there in a deluxe room with a king-size bed. Our room overlooked the canal. The room was very large, even from an American point of view. It had a table and 2 chairs next to the window, which made for a first class toking location.

The couple we were with had the adjacent room, also overlooking the canal. It had a love seat near the window instead of the table and chairs. One of the nice features of these rooms is that they are right at the top of a short flight of stairs from the lobby. We never used the elevator.

The terrace is a great place to sit and sip coffee and/or have a snack in the evening and watch the world go by, as it is right on Leidseplein. Boom Chicago, both the bar and the improv club, is right next door.

This hotel used to be part of the Marriott chain, but recently was sold to a different group (Essex?), so the service, etc. may have changed. However, we had no problems when we there in 2004 and would happily stay there again.

The restaurant was good, but not as great as the professional reviews would have you believe. You can enter it from either the lobby or the terrace. The bar is well-located, but again, it is not as special as the professional reviews make it out to be.

Overall, a classy hotel, especially for Amsterdam. Enjoy!
Posted: 2006-01-05, 6:40 am

hemikiwi
Look on www.tripadviser.com

There you will see many reviews on this and other hotels..

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!
Posted: 2006-01-06, 2:38 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Quote:
Hi folks, I'm about to come to AMSTRD

Hey! I had one of those back in the 80s! Couldn't ever get the knack of their BASIC though...

One place to give a pass to in the area is Hotel De Lantern - it's often found in the cheaper-end of the hotel market but note that the rooms are small (like don't turn around-small) and they back the Melkweg! The 3am unpacking of the bands is a real pain...
Posted: 2006-01-06, 3:17 am

puntyhose
I really like the American Hotel, especially the Night Watch bar, where I always have a genever when in town. Rooms can be a bit small, but overall the hotel and location are great. Buona fortuna!
Posted: 2006-01-06, 3:54 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
And directly across the square from the hotel on Lijnbaansgracht is Castell's BAR-becue. A terrific steak place similar to Withnail's fave Cafe de Klos (Which is also nearby). Ritz,the bartender, is a friendly, outgoing fellow who will make you feel at home. You can't beat the location.
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: