Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 16 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Trains & Trams for dummies...
Posted: 2006-01-16, 11:44 pm

Adventurer
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
My wife and I will be in city again late February, our 5th or 6th visit in the last 10 years or so.

We have enjoyed our trips and have a good handle on what we want to do and see, but one thing has always bugged us. For some reason we are too intimidated/confused by the trams to figure out how to use them. We walk a lot.

But this time we really want to give it a try. Can anybody offer us advice? We speak only english.

I have read we should buy a "strippenkaart", but I have no idea how to "cancel" the strips, or how to tell how many "zones" we will be traveling through.

Help?

Posted: 2006-01-17, 12:29 am

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The simplest solution is to buy a multi-day pass that allows you to ride as much as you want with no need for "canceling" anything, or having to pay attention to any zones within the city proper. All you need to do is get it time stamped by the conductor at the back of the tram the first time you use it, then you just show it whenever you enter and ride.

They're available at the VVV office right across from Central Station (among other places).

It may cost a bit more than paying on a per-trip basis, but it's what I always do because it keeps me from having to figure things out when riding.
Re: Trains & Trams for dummies...
Posted: 2006-01-17, 4:54 am

GrijpstraSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Does anyone know what a three day pass that includes buses would cost?
Posted: 2006-01-17, 5:47 am

Larry
I believe a 72 hour pass is EUR 13. It's good on the tram, (night) bus, and the metro to all Amsterdam locations 24 hours a day.

www.gvb.nl ...is the official site. There's a tourist section in English that is very helpful.

Watch what the locals do as far as boarding- some trams board in the middle and some at the back.
Posted: 2006-01-17, 7:09 pm

uberchef
Yes, I do believe a 3-day pass is around 15 euros and valid for all public transportation.

A great idea Ben, if you're staying the weekend during the colder weather months! There are also versions available that combine the public transportation with museum admission: The Amsterdam Pass, or somesuch. Available at the VVV directly outside Centraal Station upon arrival to the city.

'Till Amsterdam!
~uber.

ps, Adventurer, fear not the public transportation in Amsterdam. The trams are not only quick and efficient, but they also come often and allow you to cover lots of ground without freezing your balls off too much during the chilly winter. A real GFE ;-) Just enter to the rear of the tram, present your strippencart or pass to the conductor and tell them where you are going. They will stamp the appropriate number of strips on your card and off you go! The stops are usually electronically listed within the tram, and also called out by an automated voice for your easy recognition. No surprises.
Posted: 2006-01-17, 7:36 pm

Adventurer
Thanks much everybody for the great advice. I think we will actually do it this time!

Adventurer

Posted: 2006-01-17, 7:44 pm

Luther Head
Not to be an alarmist, but do pay attention to valuables while on the tram and in any crowded area, even around the Anne Frank House. I speak from personal experience.
Again, nothing to be afraid of, but just use big city commonsense.
Posted: 2006-01-17, 7:52 pm

floydpink
Great info and advice - thanks, all! I'll definitely be a tram-rider for the first time when I get back to Amsterdam in two weeks, thanks to this thread.

floyd

Posted: 2006-01-17, 8:25 pm

markcheech
one more question.. I checked the site http://www.gvb.nl/ for a 7 day pass. I think I remember last year they had one, but I could not see it on the site. Does anyone know if they have a 7 day pass?

Thanks
Posted: 2006-01-17, 8:31 pm

simplyjim
On the trams I usually just fold over two sections of the card and stamp it myself or hand it to the attendant if there is one working. If it is a bit longer ride I will have the attendant stamp off three sections. I have yet to be checked once I am sitting so I dont know if this is really a good idea but seems to work for me.

The trains are very easy. Just go to the counter area and buy your ticket from a person (rather than trying to use the ticket machines) and they will get you the proper ticket - always buy 2nd class since it is much cheaper and comfortable enough. There are maps all over the train station with times and locations for each train. The tricky part comes when a train splits and you need to be on the correct side, but usually the person at the counter can tell you this when you buy the ticket - dont forget to ask. (ie: going to LW has this type of dilemma.)

jim
Posted: 2006-01-17, 8:33 pm

Adventurer
Yes, we are always slightly cautious, moreso in any spot that concetrates tourists, but have not had nor really heard of problems during our previous February visits. I think most of the pickpockets fly south for the winter.

Adventurer

Posted: 2006-01-17, 10:13 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Public transport in NL is a great way to get around. You can plan journies anywhere in the country using http://www.9292ov.nl/ - it's in dutch but reasonably easy to work out.

Strippenkaarts can be bought in various places including the VVV in 15 & 45 strip versions, just under E20 for the latter. Many of the maps have the zones marked - it's a 4 digit number - you stamp the number of zones you travel in +1 - so if you get one & off in the same you stamp two strips, from one zone to an adjacent zone it's three and so on. But don't worry too much about that, just tell the driver/conducteur where you want to go. You get the card stamped either by the driver, the attendent in a little booth in the middle of some trams or using the little yellow boxes near the doors. If the latter, fold the card so that just enough strips are showing and push it fold-first into the slot, strip side up. You will be rewarded with a ping and almost illegible red letters in the last strip. Depending on how many strips were stamped there is a time allowance (look on the back of the card) during which you can hop on & off as often as you want, just show the already stamped card to the conductor (apparently they can read illegible red lettering).

For trains you can buy tickets from two types of machine: the touch screen versions have an option for english but don't accept coins (only credit or debit cards); the push button versions take coins as well. With these look up the four digit code for your destination (eg 1117 for Schiphol), punch it in and then use the buttons below to select 1st or 2nd class, single (enkel reis) or return (retour) and valid today only (geldig vandaag alleen) or other days. If you chose the latter remember to stamp the ticket (small blue area first) into the yellow boxes usually found at the entrance of each platform; it works pretty much the same as the strippenkaart on trams. There is now a small fee for buying tickets at the counter and you can no longer buy a ticket on the train (E35 fine).

If you are not sure what to do - ask a local, most speak good english.

If you get something wrong - play the stupid foreigner.

Don't even think about taxis unless it's your last resort.
Posted: 2006-01-17, 10:52 pm

Supporting Member
Larry, thanks for the link and you were correct, the 72 hour pass is 13E.
I will try to pick one up at the VVV tourist office in Schipol before catching the shuttle.

Uberchef, finally departure is within a month, I am starting to think about it everyday.
Would it be possible to meet at the windmill brewery before the train trip?

Banana, good advice.
Posted: 2006-01-18, 12:01 am

uberchef
BB, I hit you with a PM.

Might I inquire, where is the VVV located at Schipol?

Bedankt!
~uber.
Posted: 2006-01-18, 4:33 am

Supporting Member
As you leave departures hall #3 for the main plaza turn left and follow the security wall.
It is roughly behind the behind the ticket counters.
During several stops I have never seen anyone else in line.

Mind your step.
Posted: 2006-01-18, 4:50 pm

uberchef
Likewise, I always utilize the ABM AMRO (sp?) cash machines in Schipol, immediately after you pop out in to the main arrivals hall. There's never a line, and it's nice to have the relative security of an airport terminal to withdraw a sizeable wad of cash before arriving at Centraal Station.

Thanks for the pointer Ben,
~uber.
 [ 16 posts ] 

Jump to: