Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Internet Hot Spots
Posted: 2006-02-13, 12:13 am

ncg8r
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Helloa everyone! I picked up a cheap laptop and a friend loaned me a wireless PC card for it. I understand there are free "hotspots" around town where you can log in? I'd love to be able to access this forum from my hotel room without paying $22EU (or whatever outrageous fee they ask for) or free-loading off of some unsespecting SysAdmin's open network... If not from my actual room, I'd be pleased with the idea of hauling my laptop to a coffee shop and enjoying some local color while I get the info I need. Any suggestions? We're staying at Rembrandt Square... Thanks again!

Posted: 2006-02-13, 1:54 pm

dwj
if you google wifi Amsterdam you will find a company who is attempting to cover the city with cheap wifi useage. They aren't terribly expensive and if memory serves me correctly you can buy by the day, week or year etc. When I was last in town last July the coverage was pretty comprehensive and I would imagine it will be much improved by now.

My hotel unfortunately wasn't in the coverage area at that time however, Abraxas and the Dolphins coffeeshops offer free wifi to their customers. I used the Abraxas hotspot every day and can tell you that the connection speeds and ease of use were excellent. The only downside is there was nowhere to plug your laptop in so you're at the mercy of your battery.

Hope this helps, if anyone knows any others I'd like to hear about them too for my upcoming trip.

Dave

Last edited by dwj on 2006-02-14, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Internet Hot Spots
Posted: 2006-02-13, 4:05 pm

Luther Head
The American Book Store on Kalverstraat has a hot spot, or did, 5 months ago. Walk towards the train station from where you are staying and it is only a 5-10 minute walk away.(From Rembrandtsplein, walk northwards down Reguliersbreestraat, cross over past the Muntplein, and on to Kalverstraat, the store will be on your right) Also, the famous, and therefore overrated, coffeeshop Dampkring is nearby to the store.(No, they don't have access) I think I'd like that place if I ever could find a little elbow room, but it's always crowded.
Posted: 2006-02-15, 12:47 pm

diabolotino
Hi,

You can find a good Wifi connection, for a few € (10days : 10€, 20days : 15€, 30days : 20€) which works in all the center of Amsterdam, from the Centraal Station to the bridge after Leidseplein.
The web site is : www.hotspotamsterdam.com
You can pay on the site, or you can buy some cards for your connextion, like the phone ones, in some place in Amsterdam, like the Cafe Three Sisters on Leidsplein 2.
Have a nice trip, bye.

Diab'
Posted: 2006-02-15, 2:36 pm

sun-n-fun Moderator
Be careful in the American Book Store. Yes, they carry English and American books. But they are extremely expensive. Online bookstores such as play.com are much less expensive.

snf
Posted: 2006-02-15, 3:27 pm

tw25rw Power Kat
There's a free one on Prins Hendrikkade but I can't remember the name of the hotel..

Posted: 2006-02-18, 4:43 pm

diabolotino
v
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: