Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Street and Museum Renovations
Posted: 2006-02-18, 4:38 am

Zack
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
A light must have fallen upon me because I am going to Amsterdam for a week in April. I have not spent any time there, other than a six hour layover, in over a year. I consider that a long time for one who has been traveling from San Francisco to Amsterdam 2 or 3 times a year for 10 years.

The last time I was in Amsterdam many of the streets in and around the RLD were torn up and being replaced. Would someone please update me on the status of this construction project?

Also, the Rijksmuseum (sp?) was closed and being renovated because of asbestos discovery. What is the status on this project?

Both these projects were to take some time, so I was just wondering.

Thanks to those who reply, and thanks always to those who run this website. Posters come and go over the years, but the site just keeps getting better and better.

Kind regards,

Zack
Re: Street and Museum Renovations
Posted: 2006-02-18, 6:02 am

Mr.Plug
Hello Zack,

Long time, no talk. Hope everything is well with you.

The only thing I can contribute to your questions is that when I was there in early November, the canal and walkway right in front of the Black Tiger was torn up, and sometimes was difficult to get by. It seems that there is always somewhere that is torn up in the RLD over the last several years, but its just somewhere different whenever you go. In the end, I just accept it, and go with the flow. You must be looking forward to geting back there?

--Mr. Plug
Posted: 2006-02-18, 5:02 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
West side of OZA is all torn up. Big metal plates cover the walk. Looks like they are narrowing the canal. Usual mess at the head of Damrak, just outside Centraal Station. Otherwise not bad.

Weasel

Posted: 2006-02-18, 6:46 pm

Roland Power Kat
continue.

The Phillips wing in the Rijks is open with a good show of the top painted works of the museum in honour of Rembrandt's 400th. The rest of the place is closed till 2007 though speculation is 2008.

The Stedelijk is closed completely but it's works can be seen at the old postal sorting station near the Centraal Station. There is also a restaurant on the top floor. I suspect though that after the renos they will still keep this place open under another name.

Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-02-18, 8:06 pm

Zack
Thanks to all who repsonded. I appreciate the information!

Hey Plug, Send me your email address. Mine is still Zack_Surtak@excite.com
Hope you are well, and I want to catch up.
Posted: 2006-02-18, 8:46 pm

thesaint1690
watch them metal plates in the rld in the rain saw a guy take a fall there last weekend, bout all i can remember from last weekend

[ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: