Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 15 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Fare Dodging
Posted: 2006-06-26, 7:33 pm

gezellig
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Any budding fare-dodgers beware as this weekend I witnessed a young seriously-peeved couple being fined €67 for not having any train tickets. The guard wasn't taking any of their excuses about not finding anyone to pay et cetera, just saying that it was their responsibility to know the rules before getting on. Fair enough.

Rgds
G~
Re: Fare Dodging
Posted: 2006-06-26, 10:28 pm

tukayaway
I can never see the point in trying to dodge a fare thats so cheap.
Posted: 2006-06-27, 4:59 am

Oldster
Was this between Schipol and AMS Centraal Station? The conductors now almost always check tickets on that run because, I suppose, that is where they are apt to encounter the most scofflaws.
I have always had a valid ticket or rail pass, but on longer trips I've found that tickets are checked only about 50% of the time.
Enjoy, Oldster
Posted: 2006-07-07, 1:05 am

Nitrostar
During our last visit to Amsterdam my friend and I were confused by the tram system and how to go about paying for things. We hopped on a tram but couldn't see anyone to pay and ended up getting a free ride across town. Whoops.
Posted: 2006-07-07, 3:06 am

smuler Power Kat
Same thing I did..I caught the last train out to RAI with a friend. There was no conductor..I thought that they came and collected the money. I had it in my hand. No one came and we got off..

Whoops..me too !!
Posted: 2006-07-18, 2:51 am

Zack
Interesting what Oldster has to say, that they check between Centraal Station and the Airport. While I always buy a ticket, it is very rare that I see a conducter on that run, and my last visit to Amsterdam was in April 06. On the longer train trips there is usually a conducter who comes through to check for tickets.

I do agree, the fares are quite reasonable, so no reason to cheat. The trams however, are more tempting.

Things are always changing. On my April visit, I was amazed that CS was so automated in ticket sales, and also that the machines didn't have directions in English and would not take US credit cards. I had to go to the ticket windows, of which there are now far fewer than in the past. That task was kind of a drag because of the lines and time it took.

Zack.
Posted: 2006-07-18, 7:32 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I always buy a ticket for the Schiphol to Centraal Station run, though I have only ever been checked for a ticket when I accidentally sat in the first class section.

Trams, though, are a different story. Where the fuck are you supposed to get a ticket? Who do you give it to? How come I can't just pay when I get on?

I don't have anything against paying, it's just that there doesn't seem to be an instruction book lying about anywhere saying how to do it.

the dogs
Posted: 2006-07-18, 9:01 pm

simplyjim
This site helps a bit on the how to's, the where's, and the how much's...

http://www.gvb.nl/

Another one with a list of the sales outlets...

http://www.vbn-bv.nl/ovinfo/verkooppunt ... ginaID=282

Posted: 2006-07-19, 12:05 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I think I’ve brought this up before but if you’re planning on riding the trams/buses/metro with any amount of frequency, a one week- one zone season ticket is only €10.60. Within the central zone, it gives you unlimited use of everything but the night buses. You can purchase it at the GVB office across from Centraal Station. You need a passport sized photo (they laminate it and issue you a transit id card that’s good for 5 years). Conveniently, you can purchase just such a photo from the machine in CS right near the entrance that’s across from the GVB office. You just flash the card at the conductor or driver on the tram. On the metro you need to show it to the inspectors if they come by. If you need to go outside the central zone you can purchase the fare for the additional zone on the tram
Posted: 2006-07-20, 1:00 pm

dwj
The biggest majority of the trams now seem to have a ticket checker/seller on board. You can only enter the tram through through the door right at the front where the driver is or through a door where the checker/seler sits in a booth checking and selling tickets to anyone who hasn't got one. You can also pay the driver.

Dave
Posted: 2006-07-26, 10:08 am

french7034
On my last visit I was sitting with someone who was fined E30 for the old "Im English and couldn't get a ticket in time" excuse. I tell you the ticket lady took no prisoners...

Frenchy

Posted: 2006-07-26, 12:52 pm

pem
Everytime i've been on the train there is always someone to check tickets. This year we were sitting in 1st class but had 2nd class ticket and the conductor wasnt too bothered and let us off. Glad as that damn suitcase was getting heavy.

With the trams i have never paid though. I have always tried but the driver always waves me through. Dont't know why. The best thing to do is get a day ticket its cheap and so convenient if you travel around alot. I rarely leave the RLD so the odd tram ride is not viable for a day pass.
Posted: 2006-07-26, 4:36 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
that happened to me in frankfurt.. the only time ever [honestly] ive never bought a ticket[really was in a hurry] an inspector got on, and this was 05.30 ! tried the " machine not working routine", no joy. 50 euro fine. he too was taking no prisoners

Posted: 2006-08-02, 6:26 am

linyjo
Quote:
one week card for 10 euro

I went to the GVB website with the info you gave and was suprised how cheap it was. I found the zone map but it very generic. It lists places Zuid and West, but for someone not familiar with the geography I can't deduce where the cut off is for center zone.

Any idea I can find a map that shows better detail?

thanks in advance

Posted: 2006-08-02, 6:50 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
The GVB map is not the easiest to read on line. The zones are delineated by bright yellow lines. When you first click on the map and get that really small one, move the box over the Centrum and click. Then use the little navigation device to scroll around. The Centrum zone extends west to west of Marnixstraat, south to south of Sarphati park, east to east of Oosterpark. That's a rough idea, but give the map another try.
 [ 15 posts ] 

Jump to: