Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Construction around Centraal?
Posted: 2006-07-24, 5:15 pm

jonny5
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm planning on going to the Dam next summer. The last time I was there, 2 years ago, they were building a new subway in front of the Centraal Station. It messed up my navigation skills for a couple of days (I've always used that area to orient myself when walking around) and there was this horrible banging sound from the construction all day long that started at like 0800.

I was at the Amstel Botel and I could hear it even with the window shut and a hefty buzz from the night before. I'm a light sleeper at best.

Is that shit going on there still? If so, will it be done by next summer?
Re: Construction around Centraal?
Posted: 2006-07-24, 5:26 pm

withnail Power Kat
it will be not be finished until 2011 and construction is ongoing.

i am working very close to one of the construction sites and can confirm that when they sink those polders down the building rocks. i think its fair to say that a lot of the foundation work is done but i couldnt guarantee you will not get any noise nuisance at all. plenty of other spots around town totally unaffected though so i wouldnt let it put you off coming.

worst affected areas are centraal station, damrak (north end), rokin, vijzelgracht/straat, weteringschans and ferdinand bolstraat.

doog!

withnail
Thanks!
Posted: 2006-07-24, 7:13 pm

jonny5
Oh, it would never keep me from coming back!

I'll just bring earplugs and a white noise machine.
Re: Thanks!
Posted: 2006-07-26, 1:08 pm

pem
Jony I recommend staying at the Bulldog hotel just off dam sq. Its cheap and recently refurbished so its nice inside and very secure and quiet most times. www.bulldog.nl they have single twin and dorm rooms and very convenient for the RLD good bars and transport. Just stay away from their coffeeshops!!!!
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: