Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
French Fries/Frites
Posted: 2006-07-28, 5:24 am

attymn
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
One of the unusual things I've picked up from Amsterdam, at least for an American, is an appetite for superior french fries/belgium frites smothered in mayonnaise. I guess I should blame Pulp Fiction for putting the idea in my head "(I seen 'em man...the drown 'em in that shit"). Whenever I have fries at home, I ask for mayo, and smile as I eat the unique Dutch treat.

Anyway, I once has some great fries coming back from the RLD. It was in the relatively narrow street to the right of the Hotel Kras, maybe one or two blocks walking in towards the RLD. I was high also, so I couldn't remember exactly where the place was or what the name was. It wasn't necessarily a frites place. I think it was more like a very small market. The frites- fryer was behind the lady at the counter. It was kind of a neighborhood/locals type place. These were easily the best fries I've ever had - and no, it wasn't just because I was high and just had a good RLD session.

Does anyone know what this place is? Where? Opinions on other great frites places?
Re: French Fries/Frites
Posted: 2006-07-28, 3:07 pm

stuarty1873Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The best chips ive come across in amsterdam are from the shop across the damrak from the grasshoper under the continental hotel. covered in vinegar and mayo outstanding.
Posted: 2006-07-28, 3:49 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-07-29, 11:40 am

axxxtw Founder
Please refer to:
http://www.ignatzmice.com/WWWBoard/PHPB ... ight=fries

This is tghe place Stuarty mentions.

Posted: 2006-07-30, 7:45 am

Puffin13Supporting Member
Supporting Member
"best Vlaamse Frite shop in Ams is a little place on voetboogstraat". I second that! :) With a bit of ketchup, please.
Posted: 2006-07-30, 10:04 am

Wim Admin
The one in Voetboogsteeg actually is the oldest address for "Vlaamse Frieten" in Amsterdam.
What is now the fashion , in stead of mayonaise is the Joppiesauce , a bit more spicey !

Check this "culinary" website with lots of Amsterdam pics, to start with the Vlaamse Frieten under Continental Hotel at Damrak :

http://www.renesmurf.nl/pivot/entry.php?id=1025

or this one:

http://www.belgianfries.com/

the original Belgian Fries website (in English) , you can see the "Frietkots" , the primitive selling points that were (here and there still are) typical for Belgium.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: