Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 13 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Brush with "greatness" in A'dam....
Posted: 2006-08-04, 5:28 pm

Luther Head
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
This is pretty dumb and won't mean much to those of you who don't get Subway commercials in your countries, but to at least the Yanks and the Aussies, they may find this humorous:

As I was leaving my place on the Prinsengracht today I looked up to see two guys walking down the street and one was wearing an Indiana University sweat shirt. As this is one of my team's main rivals, I headed toward him to give him some good-natured ribbing when I realized I recoginized the guy: it was Jared from the Subway commericials, the ultimate 15 minutes of fame guy (who now must be on about minute 53 or so....).

I said hello and asked him if he was being recognized a lot in town and he said that the Americans and Aussies were, but otherwise he was enjoying the relative anonymity in Amsterdam. I parted ways with him by telling him to have a good time while he was in town and it was over. Just a funny thing, the kind of surreal stuff that happens in the city by the canals.

Does anyone else have a brush with greatness story from Amsterdam?

BTW -- For those of you who don't know, Jared is this previously obese young man who lost hundreds of pounds by eating Subway low-calorie sandwiches and excercising. He notified Subway and they turned around and made him their spokesman. It is a huge ad campaign in the US and has been going on for at least 5 years. This regular lad from Indiana is now making a very good living representing the company.
Re: Brush with "greatness" in A'dam....
Posted: 2006-08-04, 7:49 pm

Roland Power Kat
That is what the city is all about. You never know who you are going to meet around the next corner. The city is full of characters and visiting characters.

I don't know about "greatness" but I had dinner at the Grand one night and Jennifer Tilly was at the next table. Her real voice isn't high and girly at all.

Bumped into Brad Pitt one time but ignored him and only nodded. The Playmate of the Year (about 6 years ago) at Kwekkeboom. She was stunning but heavily made up.

Was at Bourbon Street with some Jordanian royals last spring. They didn't tell me who they really ywere beyond their names and just being friendly but I figured it out as they were leaving.

Only time I made a fuss about anyone was about 18 or so years ago when I bumped into a guy called Roscoe Lee Browne at Leideseplein who I thought was tres cool. He played on an American TV show with Tony Curtis.

Lots to see and do in Amsterdam. Always. Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-08-05, 3:35 pm

PARAQUAT
Luther,

I hope you laid into him about his Indiana support : ) I can't imagine he's a big puffer, it would give him the munchies and he would loose that sweet deal. Fame does not come at a cheap price.

Peace,
Paraquat
Posted: 2006-08-05, 5:54 pm

fun_time
I keep seeing Bush versus brush. lol I can't wait until that prick is gone. Wish we could tie him to a bench bent over for Gay Pride week or something. Along side that Vice President shit head as well. No disrespect to the gay people, just a freebie for those who choose. I can't remember hateing a politician more.

Do it Subway boy.. Smoke some Northen Lights and pig out on pasteries..lol
Posted: 2006-08-05, 10:29 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
The tabloids might pay a pretty penny for a snap of him with a big spliff...or exiting a kamer!

The price of fame...
Posted: 2006-08-06, 12:37 am

me and me mate met this big musly body building type american fella in Baba
he was very talkative and approached us first
we thought he was just chatting shit and being the cocky young scousers we are
ended up laughing at him and reeling him in for our own amusement
he told us he played leather face in texas chainsaw massacare and a character in streetfighter and was a stuntman
anyway
the more he spoke, we actually thought he was telling the truth
we checked him out on my space and he was right in what he was saying
ha we smoked with him all morning, was a nice fella actually when i look back
Posted: 2006-08-17, 6:55 am

Rembrandt
My brush with great was in 1987 on my honeymoon with my ex. We were sitting in a coffeeshop then known as "The Twilght Zone" in the RLD. We were smoking hash, eating space cakes and sipping hot coffee looking out of the front window. A long haired fellow walking by stopped, and put his face close to the glass, smiling directly at us. I looked at my wife and simultaneously we barked out "Aerosmith!". It was singer Steven Tyler with his cute little blonde wife in tow. We were hoping he would walk through the door so we could meet him, however, he didn't come in. Chasing him down the street didn't make too much sense either as both of us had body highs that left us paralyzed at the moment. Moral of the story: "Mixing space cakes and autograph seeking doesn't mix".

Rembrandt

PS-Mojoworks- How ya doin"?
Posted: 2006-08-17, 10:29 am

mojoworksSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Yo,

Mojoworks here. Is this the former Van Gogh? Havn't heard from or about you in awhile. Recently my life has had so many twists and turns, I can't keep up.

Send me an email at mojoworks@excite.com and I'll give you a recap.

mojo
Posted: 2006-08-18, 7:14 pm

DrTak
A few years ago, I ran into Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, who use to be a WWF professional wrestler, in a coffeshop (can no longer remember which one, which indicates I was having a good time).

Anyway, he was pretty friendly, and a heavy duty smoker -- one after another after another . . .
Posted: 2006-08-19, 10:48 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I once thought I saw Noel Gallagher of Oasis in a small English-style fish and chips shop. I think the place is on Nieuwendjik among all the shops nearer the Central Station end.

He spoke like him, dressed like him, looked like him. I'm pretty sure it was him. But I left him alone. I figured he deserved to enjoy his fish and chips in peace.
Posted: 2006-08-20, 4:25 am

iloveamsterdam
over the years i've seen eddie van halen,slash,mick n keef,..hang out at the excalibur or bulldog rock shop ..loads of musos' always in amsterdam.
Posted: 2006-08-20, 2:49 pm

CalicoJack
I saw Simon Pegg (Spaced, Sean of the Dead etc.) leaving La Vie En Rose, looking about as pissed off with the place as I was...
Posted: 2006-08-21, 2:06 am

losfor
This spring I went into the Old Sailor Bar to take a leak. Sitting at a table by himself was Eminem. He was smoking a cigarette and writing, while checking out the scene in the RLD. Didn't say a word, but did take a look back in the window to make sure. And when i realized it wasnt' that i was too high. That was pretty cool!
 [ 13 posts ] 

Jump to: