Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Biking in September
Posted: 2006-08-05, 5:45 pm

fun_time
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Can I expect decent weather and room to bike? I could not do it in March soo dang cold for a Florida man. What is the best riding tip you can give me? The bikes are many and I don't want to be an problem at all. I bike alot here but the rules may be different over there. I am hoping this will allow me to really check out the coffeeshops and city outside of the box. Thanks for your time. :)
Re: Biking in September
Posted: 2006-08-05, 11:46 pm

block
From my experiance I would tell you to catch the train to Maastricht and rent yourself a bike at the station and go from there.I love Amsterdam and I have spent much time there but for biking I would get out of the city and the choice for me has always been the hills south of Maastricht.Although I have never visited in September I have biked in November and even January.Just get the right clothing and you will be okay.If you would like more info on the biking around Maastricht please pm me and I can help you out!!

Miles Davis
Posted: 2006-08-06, 2:24 pm

m02499
I was in Amsterdam a few years ago in September and the weather was cool, not cold, and in my opinion perfect for biking. One of my favorite bike rides is to take the ferry that is by the train station to the other side and pick up the bike path from there. I honestly can't remember exactly where it goes, but I do recall it is a very pleasant ride with a few stops on the way to get food if you so desire. I am also thinking of a trip in September and I am certainly looking forward to a ride myself.
Posted: 2006-08-07, 7:47 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I've only taken the ferry once, and don't recall a path. Do you know which way you went?

Posted: 2006-08-07, 5:42 pm

Luther Head
I just recently went over there on my bike and it looks as if there is plenty to explore. Check out the site below, it's in Dutch, but if you follow "Recreatie", then click on "Routes en bezienswaardigheden" (routes and things-to-see) . You will see some maps that may be of use. (Fietsroute = bike path).

http://www.noord.amsterdam.nl/smartsite.dws?id=1035

PS -- If you are a smoker of weed, take necessary supplies with you. I didn't see any coffeeshops on the two trips I made.
Posted: 2006-08-07, 5:48 pm

m02499
The ferry was as I recall in the back of the train stations. Once you got off the ferry on the other side there was a path that you could immediately be picked up. It took you along the canal to start and went through some very nice areas. It was a nice ride. I can't recall much more than that, but if you are out there and rent your bike from the place at the train station I am sure they will provide you any information that you need.
Posted: 2006-08-07, 7:40 pm

pietje69
Weather in September can be perfect for a nice biking-trip, living near Amsterdam myself and go for 60/70 km rides in the neighbourhood which starts from 15km eastern of amsterdam. Nice area : river / lakes and if you go just a bit more to the east there are some woods. very nice area to make a trip. don't know how long you want to sit on the bike but for an 3 hour trip i can recommend this.
if u like more info let me know
Posted: 2006-08-07, 10:13 pm

Wim Admin
More to the North West you approach the pittoresque city of Alkmaar, always good for some refreshments , Dutch quality cheese , musea etc.
Posted: 2006-08-07, 11:53 pm

fun_time
This trip I will just plan on getting around Amsterdam outside of the Wallen box and visit the surrounding neighborhoods and coffeshops. I assume I could rent a bike in Alkamaar and save my legs for some other activities? I don't have the time..well don't want to take the time and leg power away from my 4-6 sessions per day. ;-) But to put on 5-10 miles a day would be wonderful.

Thanks again for the input road warriors. :)
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: