Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
A Tourist's Map of Central Amsterdam, v. 1.0
Posted: 2006-08-06, 2:40 pm

Drostie
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
(MIRRORS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I don't want my bandwidth to die because of this ^_^)

Current sites for dowload:
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/crd34/amsterdam.gif

---

Background: I was thinking of all of the cool places to visit in Amsterdam, and googling them turned up even more. This site, in particular, came up with figuring out where the Red Light Districts were -- and I wanted to see those. Plus, there are tons of attractions that aren't swamped by tourists -- an example is the waterfall at the Zuiderkerk. Might as well list those there as well.

*HOWEVER* ... it was often very hard to get addresses for some of these attractions. (bijvoorbeld: Where the crap is the Heilige Stede? Nobody will give you a straightforward address in what I've seen, but you can infer it from the pages written in Nederlands and then you can check it with sattelite images -- which I did for this map.)

Even when you do have addresses, MapQuest may only give you a place in the right region.

I have tried to use sattelite images as much as possible to pinpoint any locations that I haven't yet seen first-hand, and I've tried to cover all of the major churches, chapels, synagogues, shopping streets, red-light areas, museums, and open-air markets. (I even had to extend the map eastward to get the Artis -- A wonderful place, I recommend it wholeheartedly.)

The map is a 2400x2400 .gif, ~1.25 MiB large, with a 320 ppi scale (that is, it's meant to fit on a 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper by a photo-quality printer)
Re: A Tourist's Map of Central Amsterdam, v. 1.0
Posted: 2006-08-06, 6:11 pm

papawhiteheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
good job
Posted: 2006-08-06, 10:09 pm

Shed
Cheers, this is really helpful. I'm using the site maps as well but this one is just what I was looking for for the non-rld sights and streets.
Posted: 2006-08-07, 9:53 am

zsdeadbaby
Good work fella.
Sorry, I can't help re mirrors but thanx a lot.
Posted: 2006-08-08, 8:28 pm

axxxtw Founder
Quote:
Drostie:MIRRORS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Consider it mirrored. We reduced the file size to approx 875Kb.
Nice job.

Posted: 2006-08-09, 10:12 pm

Nitrostar
Very handy map, mate. I'll be sure to print this off before I next go to the Dam.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: