Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Tips on entertainment
Posted: 2006-08-25, 6:32 am

beautySeeker
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I will be visiting Amsterdam from September 16th thru the 28th. If I am struck by lightning on September 19th I can live with that.

I would like to plan more entertainment during my visit to enhance an already spectacular trip.

I am going to the Disturbed concert at the Paradiso on September 26th. I have been to a couple of concerts at the melkwig before and really enjoyed it but have never been to a concert at the Paradiso.

How does the Paradiso compare to the melkwig in terms of sound quality, size of venue, policy on smoking weed, etc. Do the shows start very late at the Paradiso like they do at the Melkwig?

Last year I tried to stop by the Paradiso during the day and there was no counter person to make any recommendations about the show. This made it hard to find other recommended shows. It is also hard to get a bead on the shows from the calandar on thier sites since I don't recognize most of the acts. I can search for them but I usually don't find alot of useful information with that strategy. I stopped by the uab ticket shop last year but I couldn't dig up much information about the shows there either.

Are there any bands during this time frame that would good to see? I like all music but prefer rock and fusion. When there isn't a show but just DJ's, etc are these worth while attending?

I was also considering the http://www.boomchicago.nl/ comedy shows. Are these worth while?

I thought I might also check out http://www.maloemelo.nl. It looks like a cool place but I'm not sure about the quality of the musicians. Is this place worth going to? Is there anybody particulary good to see at this place or is it a good environment with pretty good entertainment most of the time? Although I haven't played in along time I used to play drums. What are the jam session nights like here?

Any descriptions or tips would be greatly appreacted ... thank you.
Re: Tips on entertainment
Posted: 2006-08-25, 10:43 am

AlexDallas
Would recommend 'the Mansion' for clubbing. Went there ones and it was cool. People are between 25-35, nice music, good drinks.
Posted: 2006-08-25, 3:18 pm

anydaySupporting Member
Supporting Member
hi,

i've been to many gigs at both paradiso and melkweg. prefer melkweg 'cos it's more intimate but paradiso is also a cool place - capacity about 2000 i'd say in the main room (with balconies) and a couple of smaller rooms/ bars. no prob at all toking there and it's always had a top atmosphere when i've been. you're prob best off ringing or e-mailing the venue to find out what time the band's on as some start very late but many don't.

to find out what's on when you're there i would highly recommend :

http://www.amsterdamweekly.nl
http://www.underwateramsterdam.com

though you'll need to look the week before you go as these are update weekly.

for a longer term and possibly more mainstream view you could look at the ticketmaster.nl site.

hope this helps mate and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

anyday.
Posted: 2006-08-25, 6:22 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Have not managed to get to BoomChicago myself but have heard good reports.
Posted: 2006-08-26, 10:08 pm

Roland Power Kat
Rory, a British keyboard player, runs the jam at the Waterhole on Tuesdays. Thursdays is Gus Genser's (spelling) night. He is the former drummer for Herman Brood. The place is mainly for under 30 year olds. Go after 10:30.

Bourbon Street (about 5 blocks away) has the Terry Mann Jam on Wednesdays (but you better be good), Gregorio's Latin jam on Mondays and Lamar's blues jam on Tuesdays. Ages 25-60.
Go after 11:30 or 12 open till 3, 4 or 5 depending on the night..

Maloe Melo is a smoky blues bar run by Jur (who played on tour with Joe Cocker) and his son Patrick. www.maloemelo.nl He has another sone Marcel who is a highly regarded guitar player and fronts his own band. MM has a Magic Sem jam on Sundays and another on one Tuesdays.
All ages as it focusses on the music. The music part is through the double doors at the back of the bar. Don't let the empty front fool you. Music normally doesn't start till 11:30.

Boom Chicago is an American oriented comedy show that foucusses on Amsterrdam. Well rated by tourist visitors.

Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-08-27, 6:05 am

bobvanz
I have been to Boom Chicago a couple of times. It was enjoyable, I can recommend. Don't go to the understudy/new material night. It used to be Sunday. It is not as good.
Posted: 2006-08-27, 12:54 pm

beautySeeker
Thanks for covering all the topics requested and then some ...
Posted: 2006-08-27, 1:56 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
"Thursdays is Gus Genser's (spelling) night."

Spelling night. Gosh. Is there no end to the excitement? ;-)
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: