Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
A Little Early Logistical Help for Xmas- NYE
Posted: 2006-09-19, 5:18 am

smuler Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Forgive the early question, but I must make a hotel decision soon ! Here are the particulars: On 12/28, I will take the train to CS from Schipol around 18:00..no problem there.I am staying at the Golden Tulip ( Leidesplein ) for only 1 night due to a special rate that they owed me , and I must make a decision what to do next hotel-wise ! On 12/29,30,31- I have arranged to stay at the Ibis in Den Haag for only 58 Euros a night. A one hour train ride each way, each day. But soon, the window will open up to book at the Etap by Schiphol for the same rate. Supposedly only 20 minutes by train..
My main concern is train service between where I am staying, and Amsterdam. I am mainly concerned about New Year eve service from CS to wherever I am staying to my hotel. I figure to probably have my fill of partying and girls early, and was concerned that I would be " stuck" paying for a taxi to get home, if the trains/trams are running on a holiday schedule ... I also need to take a flight to Copenhagen on 1/1/2007, so I think it would make more sense to stay by the airport. Can you imagine how much a taxi would be from Den Haag ?

Is anything open on New Years Day in Amsterdam ( Windows or Coffeeshops ) ?

Please..anyone..help me alleviate my fears.
Anyone stayed at the Etap by Schiphol ? Since I am certainly only looking for a bed to sleep, will this hotel do? We do not have Etap's in North America.

Best Regards everyone

Smuler
Re: A Little Early Logistical Help for Xmas- NYE
Posted: 2006-09-19, 11:13 am

withnail Power Kat
there were huge protracted discussions on this subject last year (and the year before etc etc). also several trip reports. if you search the archive all the info is still there and every possibly question relating to new years eve in amsterdam was asked and answered in depth.

i can tell you that new years eve in the city is magnificent, though i think it would be extremely unwise to stay outside of the city itself just to save a few euros. you would regret it on the night.

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-09-19, 10:39 pm

StarrDluX
man... i remember last new years eve week... there was a freaking blizzard! the trains shut down completely... i think it was the night before or so ? my boots were so wet i couldn't wear them on NYE...

i would stay as close to Amsterdam as you can... it is worth the investment... last NYE was AMAZING!

Posted: 2006-09-19, 11:41 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Bear in mind that the Etap is some distance from Schiphol airport/station. Access is by shuttle bus which will add to journey times and may not run late at night. I guess walk would be about 20-30 minutes but I am not sure whether footpaths exist.

Only hotels which are close to the terminal are the Sheraton and Hilton. All others require an additional bus/taxi.

Note also that the Ibis in DH is a 15-20 minute walk from either Centraal or HS stations. Trams might speed journey but will infrequent late at night.

As already suggested, best stay in the city itself.
Posted: 2006-09-20, 6:22 pm

smurf
hi smuler..

have a look for some cheap hotel deals in the city itself...much better decision.

There are good deals around the 70 euro mark..thats only 12 more per night than one of your hotels...

I will be in amsterdam the week after next for one night..

I hope I can make the trip for December aswell will be nice to cruise the rld together
Posted: 2006-09-21, 3:12 am

smuler Power Kat
Thanks everyone for their input. I will probably bail, out of fear ,on the Ibis Den Haag for now. I do not want to be stuck there with no way to get to Amsterdam if there is a train shutdown due to weather. I will grap the Etap, since it is at least closer to Amsterdam than Den Haag ( Am I right ? ) . I do not mind walking a while if I have to. I will call the Etap, and see if they have a shuttle and what are the hours. I want to grab a hotel on Priceline, but this whole trip is a freebie, and can fall apart at any time, so I do not want to lose money if I do not show up. The hotel websites have prices all in the 100-150 Euro range per night to stay in the city. The Etap and Ibis Den Haag are 58 Euros a night, with the option of cancelling with no penalty ...

This might be an expensive trip for me, I would rather spend it on girls than hotels..

Smurf- check your PM

Best regards

Smuler
Posted: 2006-09-21, 9:36 pm

Supporting Member
You are correct: Schiphol is considerably closer to Amsterdam than Den Haag and is walkable from the city centre in extremis. I have stayed at another Accor hotel - the Novotel - which shares a shuttle bus with the Etap; from memory the bus runs every half an hour until 01:30.
Posted: 2006-09-21, 11:41 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-09-22, 4:33 am

smuler Power Kat
Banana 61..you are correct !! I called them from the US today, and the Etap confirmed that even between xmas and new years, their shuttle will run every 1/2 hour until 1:30 AM I might even stay till past midnight for a little while, catch the train back to the airport, and walk back to the hotel. As you previously mentioned, I might have to figure out a way to walk. But I must get there to first scope out the situation ..Thanks !!

Now if I could control the weather, I would be set !! Starr dlux mentioned snow as a possibility..I thought that it usually does not snow in Amsterdam. It might rain, but snow doesn't usually happen.. am I wrong ??

Smuler
Posted: 2006-09-22, 7:13 am

Supporting Member
@Smokley: I think 14km is walkable but only as I said in extremis (especially in adverse weather); Den Haag however is a very different proposition.

@Smuler: rain is to be expected, snow is occasional - perhaps 1-3 times each winter - but can happen around X/NY (snow on NYD a couple of years ago). I would still suggest that staying in the city is a better choice but I understand your reasons for not doing so.
Posted: 2006-09-22, 9:36 am

withnail Power Kat
a 14k walk home in december - are you sure? rather you than me.

withnail
Posted: 2006-09-22, 8:21 pm

Supporting Member
"In extremis" means in an emergency. However, you will not catch me putting myself in that position.
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: