Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Just a quick 'ello!
Posted: 2006-09-26, 5:07 am

killer_doll
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I've been coming to this site since the beginning of the year when I had planned my first Amsterdam trip to learn some things about it in a not-so-typical tourist way. I rather enjoyed that the moderator of the site is so opinionated about places and talks like an actual human being, unlike most city guides.

I spent about 8 days at the end of February/beginning of March of this year in the city and it was, honestly, the happiest I've ever been. I had never even been on an airplane before that time! Until that point I'd never been anywhere outside of the east coast of the US, and I think Amsterdam was the perfect place to start a life as a traveler. I was so expecting to feel thrown out of my comfort zone as soon as we got on the train at Schipol to Centraal Station but was surprised at how comfortable I actually was. We arrived later than expected in the day (damn flight delays) but I automatically felt so welcomed and so at home. When we were walking to our hostel, the streets already felt so familiar. It was strange but I loved it. We did many typical touristy things the first 5 days... Artis, Anne Frank House, Heineken Experience, Sex Museum, an excursion to Volendam, Marken, and around the city itself, the flower market, Hemp Marijuana and Hash Museum, etc etc (so many things I honestly can't believe we did it all so quickly!) so that our last few days we could just stroll and feel like we lived there. Those days were my favorites. Strolling the RLD (shopping at one little "toy" shop whose name I can't remember, but the friend I was with had been there months before and the same man was working. She mentioned to him that she remembered him from last time and he playfully grabbed pretended to grab her chest and said "YES! I remember those - I mean you!" and we laughed.) Spending time in coffee shops, eatting at the cheapest and smallest little restaurants we could find to fit our budget (none of which disappointed,) window shopping, etc. The morning we left there was so sad. I - don't laugh! - actually cried a small bit on the train back to Schipol because I didn't want to leave. The city is full of such history, life, and people actually being nice to other people (which, around here, is not something I'm used to.) I never thought I'd be able to go again - at least not so soon - but!

November 3rd my boyfriend and I are going to be flying out of the country! We're arriving in London on the 4th (I'm insanely excited about being there for Guy Fawkes Day!) and then on the 7th we'll be taking a train, a ferry, and another train from there into Amsterdam where we'll be until the morning of the 13th! Though it sounds strange to say since I don't even have a speck of Dutch in me, I feel like I'm going home! I wish I had the resources to actually pack up and move there.

Living in America is so limited when it comes to availability of traveling to other cultures. All of the streets feel so damn new and boring, and the only way to get to another country without taking a plane is to go to Canada and Mexico - woohoo. (sarcasm on the "woohoo.") Every street, every field, so many buildings, every piece of dirt in Europe has so much to say. I'll also be spending two weeks in Italy (Florence and Rome) next summer.

But anway... I was just wondering of any other little tidbits of information anyone may have of shops, restaurants, or places that someone may really enjoy in NL that we could go to? Even if it's a train ride outside of the city, I don't mind. This will be my boyfriend's first trip but he doesn't want to do too many of the touristy types of things I did so I won't be back-peddling to many of the museums and whatnot. He'd rather spend most of the time just exploring and doing the "let's pretend we live here" thing. So basically, what is the first thing that really pops into your mind as in "OH! I should tell her to go there!"

(so much for a "quick" hello...)

Take care!
killer_doll

Posted: 2006-09-26, 12:13 pm

withnail Power Kat
a very nice report indeed - thanks for taking the time to write it all down. I can feel your excitement.

Im pleased to say that even after more than 20 years travelling the globe i still find Europe as fascinating and stimulating as ever . I wish you also a lifetime of happy travels!

as for the moderation of this site - its not really humans at all, everything is done with smoke and mirrors ;-)

doog!

withnail
Re: Just a quick 'ello!
Posted: 2006-09-26, 7:14 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Take the #17 tram to Bilderkdijkstraat (about a 15 minute ride from Centraal Station). You'll be at the intersection of Bilderdijkstraat and Kinkerstraat. There's a very nice market that operates daily on Ten Katestraat which crosses Kinkerstraat.You won't see another tourist there. When I was there in April on Sunday there was a huge market on Kinkerstraat itself. I'm not sure if that operates every Sunday or not. Since we're staying in the neighborhood I'll check it out again on October 8. If that market is in fact operating make sure to stop at the stall where they're making poffertjes, tiny little pancakes. Right near the market at Jan Pieter Heijenstraat 85 is the Kashmir Lounge, a very laid back bar/coffeeshop. The whole Oud West neighborhood is nice to wander about in. You're only a 15-20 minute walk to Leidseplein but the atmosphere is so different. It's also an easy walk from Kinkerstraat to Vondel Park. Have fun.
Posted: 2006-09-26, 7:33 pm

axxxtw Founder
I am just about to install the newest upgrade to our moderator programmes---AutoMod Xtreme Ver. 39--- it promises to write even more gooder.

Last edited by axxxtw on 2006-09-26, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2006-09-26, 8:38 pm

digger
You always rise a great laugh from me AXXXTW.

Gooder indeed :-)

Digger.
Posted: 2006-09-26, 8:41 pm

killer_doll
abc123 - Thanks for the tip(s)!

I'll deffinately check it out! I like being places where there aren't too many tourists around.

Posted: 2006-09-26, 8:45 pm

killer_doll
We've got a bunch of comedians in here, eh?

I love it. :)

Posted: 2006-09-27, 7:08 am

FrobozzElectric
Hey! Sounds a hell of a lot like myself.

This past Summer, I left North America for the first time. I'm from Upstate New York, and I'd never been farther East than Nova Scotia. I'd been in a plane, before, though, but only once to Atlanta. I was flying out to Slovakia to play in the World Junior Pairs for Bridge (If you don't stop laughing, I'm just gonna leave), and I was meeting my Bridge partner, Matt from Portland, Oregon in JFK Airport. And I had discussed with him that we should take some time off on the way and stop over in Amsterdam. I'd always, always, always wanted to go. I had a convincing argument, too. For one thing, it was the cheapest way of entry into the continent. For another thing, I figured, if we're gonna be playing international Bridge, we probably wanna recover a bit from the jet lag, right? Seems perfect!

Matt, on the other hand, decided he wanted to have as little fun as possible and tried to go straight to Slovakia, so I told maybe perhaps a little white lie that I'd already bought tickets from Amsterdam to Slovakia, and he finally acquiesced.

So, after a few months of frantic excitement at being able to spend a grand total of three, count 'em, three days in Amsterdam (Two on the way to Slovakia and one on the way home), I finally got there. The really amusing thing is that the purpose of the trip was to spend two weeks in Slovakia at junior Bridge camp (Which was mind-blowingly fun and another story in and of itself), and yet all I could tell my friends was to excitedly blurt about my three (Count 'em, three!) days in Amsterdam.

In conclusion, Amsterdam is the magical city of dreams. I could tell y'all more, but I was only there for three days and I wouldn't want to share everything in my first post. I'll also be going back home to Europe in November. Watch out, Spain!

Posted: 2006-09-28, 3:48 am

skipexcaliburSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Try Alkmaar for a very pleasant day trip. Only 1/2 hour train ride, around 10 euro round trip, I believe. One of my favorite places.

If you don't want to leave the city, I really enjoy the Albert Cuypmarket. Nothing like the feel of an outdoor market.

Alkmaar has a great market day on Saturday if you get there early, as it starts to wind up around 12:00 but it takes up a good portion of the city. Seems like the whole town shows up, but not that many tourists.

Don't get too down on North America, remember that you DO live in Jersey...........

Happy trails,

Skip
Posted: 2006-09-28, 10:08 pm

killer_doll
Skip - thanks for the tip(s)!

We actually did stumble upon a very large outdoor market the last time that was just jam-packed with people! It reminded me of the kind of outdoor bazaars they have sometimes at certain places on the Jersey Shore, except with better stuff and cheaper prices. I'm not sure what it was called though or it's exact location, though it was somewhere near the Heineken Experience because we found it on our way there.

And true, I do live in Jersey which isn't exactly the best of the states... haha. I went to San Francisco for the first time in April and was thrilled to finally see a city in the states I completely enjoyed. :)

Posted: 2006-09-29, 12:19 am

skipexcaliburSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Killer,

Nothing like a Jersey girl! The market you are referring to is probably more like a flea market (I don't remember the name) and is very large and interesting. Don'y buy the electric stuff because of the difference in current.

Albert Cuyp is further west and located on Albert Cuypstraat. It is not really a flea market since it has a lot of food available for sale but there is still a bunch of other goods. I enjoy both markets immensely.

Be sure you see Alkmaar. It is more than worth the trip.

Have a good visit,

Skip
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: