Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Search engine changed again ;-)
Posted: 2008-11-13, 11:28 am

axxxtw Founder
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Here's another boring technical post for you on the glorious Thursday morning:

The new search engine, after extensive testing, was not satisfactory at all. When the full MB was indexed, and a search was made it was very slow in returning results. Among other grievances.

We have reinstated the built-in PHPBB search engine with a few little changes.

1. It's still located on the purple/blue Nav bar up above. This very visible location should encourage more people to actually use it. A good thing. And it's handy for the rest of us.

2. If you wish to make a specific search as before, WITHOUT entering anything into the search box, click the "Go" button. Or clear it of any text first. This'll take you to the standard PHPBB search form, where you can specify the usual PHPBB search options.

If you wish to make a quick, down and dirty search for your term, type it into the "Quick Search" text box, and either hit enter/return on your keyboard, or click the "Go" button.

The entire Index of posts is being re-indexed as I type this, this should improve results in future searches.

Cheers.

Last edited by axxxtw on 2008-11-17, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Search engine changed again ;-)
Posted: 2008-11-13, 12:13 pm

jgramos Moderator
Hi axxxtw, not complaining, just felt I should let you know.....thought I'd give the new search facility a test run.

Typed "katie" in, no results found from quick search box?
Typed "katie" into the old search system, no posts found?
Typed "katie from bulgaria" as there was a recent thread named that. 27 results from the quick search box, none of them are the katie from bulgaria thread?

I'm pretty sure the number of posts with the name katie in would be double figures, if not treble figures, I know I've posted about her enough! lol!! As for that "katie from bulgaria" thread, I know I actually typed "katie from bulgaria" in one of my posts.

As I said, not complaining, just letting you know.

Peace

(Edit - thinking about it, you're probably still re-indexing everything, so it may be to do with that. Sorry!)

Posted: 2008-11-13, 12:26 pm

axxxtw Founder
Aye, confirmed.

It's the re-indexing process. The old SQL tables containing the search index keywords have been flushed clean. It's at 15000 posts now. We have over 59000. It'll be several hours at the soonest.

When it's finished, Katie will turn up ;-)

Last edited by axxxtw on 2008-11-16, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Search engine changed again ;-)
Posted: 2008-11-13, 7:12 pm

jgramos Moderator
Lol! I wasn't really searching for anything in particular, I just thought I'd give the new system a test run. I knew I had written "katie from bulgaria" at least one time, and "katie" many more times, so thought it would be a good tester.

Thanks for the update!

Peace

Posted: 2008-11-13, 7:19 pm

MercatorSupporting Member
Supporting Member
update on the testing:
After reading the message I typed katie, got 81 results within 2 seconds and the first one was jgramos explaining his test on katie.

Seems indexing is going well.

kudoos for the improvement!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: