Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Plummeting Euro
Posted: 2008-10-31, 12:02 am

James_Boner
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The euro has been consistently dropping relative to the dollar. Once it gets below $1.25, AMS will be a reasonably affordable trip for us Yanks! :^)

James
Re: Plummeting Euro
Posted: 2008-10-31, 12:46 am

rheingau Power Kat
enjoy..........

It's not really the euro that's plummeting but rather the dollar that's climbing against almost all other currencies though.
Posted: 2008-10-31, 12:46 am

SVU18 Power Kat
Because of the abysmal $ I have only been able to stay 2-3 nights on my annual Wallen adventure. This is a welcome thing for me as well. Selfish way to think maybe, but we have been getting killied for 3 years now.

Posted: 2008-10-31, 6:11 am

JaimeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The dollar dropped about 4 cents in the last few days. Still not like the dreadful days of June and July this summer......the dollar was worth 62-63 cents. Hard to believe.
Posted: 2008-10-31, 11:20 am

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
yeah just after i have been on holiday the euro drop just typical for me lol
Posted: 2008-10-31, 5:56 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
When I was in Italy in Sept. I went to a Travelex exchange place because we were running low on cash. Their poor exchange rate plus their commission (17%, the fuckers!) would have netted me a 50% exchange rate, i.e. 150 euros for 300 bucks.

I told them that their rates were unacceptable and took the money back. The attendant said "It doesn't matter where you go, you'll get the same rate. We own them all." to which my response was, "Then I'll do without the money."

It turns out that the best place to change cash in Italy is the _post office_. I tried to exchange money at a bank and they were willing to do small amounts, but 500 bucks was too much. They sent me to the post office where I received an exchange rate of 71%. The best I had done in Amsterdam was 72%.

By the way, the best exchange rates I have found in Amsterdam have consistently been from that little hole in the wall office on Damrak. It has a Western Union sign, but the exchange place isn't actually Western Union. It is just a little south (away from CS) of the Mannekin Pis frites stand and immediately north of Dam Hotel/Marco Polo Pizzeria

inline image
Posted: 2008-10-31, 7:22 pm

TribSupporting Member
Supporting Member
If the fed keeps cutting rates the dollar will give back most of its gains ( not much room to cut left).

It is to the Feds benefit to have a weak dollar...at least thats what they think. The theory is the weak dollar will stimulate exports.

I hope it stays close to 1.28 or below. The election may give it a temporary bump.

Posted: 2008-10-31, 9:57 pm

Terry Sleeper
About time you USA-ers had some luck in the exchange-rate stakes - but we Brits are beginning to feel the pinch with the £ plummeting against the €!
Posted: 2008-11-02, 3:40 am

420 Power Kat
Dogs,

Nice pic! Too bad the Device doesn't have arrows pointing to the kamers.

I just returned from Paris and enjoyed a little "relief" with the temporary gains of the USD.... Really doesn't matter much in France because EVERYTHING was way expensive. The only real bargains I found was Leffe 9% at the local grocery stores for E 2.75/750 ml...nice

Posted: 2008-11-02, 3:26 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks.

Well, we did have that one thread with an arrow point to Annie's kamer. Extremely helpful. Alas, now it matters not.

Maybe someday we'll see her again.

the dogs
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: