Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Search interface a bit weird
Posted: 2008-12-10, 8:25 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The search interface on the navigation bar is a bit weird now in the following sense. If you just click on Go it does a quick search for "quick search". There's no apparent way to get to the old, more complicated, search page.
But there actually is. To get there you have to click on the search field, not type anything, then click on Go.

Maybe a "Search" button next to the "Go" button would be more intuitive?

(Personally, I use the search page a fair amount to find my own posts so I can see if there are responses.)
Re: Search interface a bit weird
Posted: 2008-12-10, 9:19 pm

makelove Power Kat
Neurosynth, to find your own posts the best way is to first click on your own username and when your profile has been opened, then just click on "Find all posts by neurosynth".
Re: Search interface a bit weird
Posted: 2008-12-10, 10:16 pm

axxxtw Founder
Yes about the clicking, once you learn how it works its efficient. On the search results page, there's also a link that says "advanced search". That'll take you to the more detailed search page. We wanted to put the search box on the page to encourage people to search for things, and working that into our phpBB-based board was a bit of a trick. That is the best solution we could come up, for now.

It helps to read the "site news" items we post occasionally. we explained how this worked at the time, and we think its easy enough to figure out quickly.

But now there's an annoying glitch. When Firefox updated itself, it broke the layout, the search box and button plonked down out of the NAV and ended up on the left side of the page under it. We're trying to figure out why, and so far haven't gotten far. We've noticed other pages on other sites aren't working properly either, if viewed in the latest Firefox version.

Posted: 2008-12-11, 7:56 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
OK. To some extent these things are a matter of taste. Lots of places put an "advanced search" option right next to their simple search option. But many don't.

Hadn't thought about licking on my profile. Will likely retrain my fingers to do that. Muscle memory can be stubborn sometimes.

thanks all
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: