Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
September Eurotrip! Question About Ditching Connecting Flight
Posted: 2009-05-20, 4:48 am

PeachFuzz
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
It has been too long. New company, not enough vacation time last year. I will make up for this in September. Going to Amsterdam on the 10th, Krakow on the 14th, Prague on the 18th, and back to Amsterdam from 24th to 29th, with maybe a few FKK visits along the way. Got a friend joining me from September 11-20. If he books KLM through Amsterdam to Prague, and ditches the connecting flight on the way there, is this acceptable? Has anybody done anything similar across international borders? Could the return flight from Prague be jeopardized if the connection on the way there is missed? Sorry for the stupid questions. Hope to make up for it with some good trip reports...
Re: September Eurotrip! Question About Ditching Connecting Flight
Posted: 2009-05-20, 7:00 am

hutchings
He'll get screwed, and not in a good way. They'll cancel the return flight as soon as he's missed the connection. It sucks, but it's the way airlines do business.

H
Posted: 2009-05-20, 11:49 am

Roland Power Kat
It is possible that he can jump off in Amsterdam on the way there and pick up his return starting in Prague as long as he indicates this to the check-in counter when he gets on the initiial flight. This is called an open jaw flight and is usually more exoensive so they may charge for a ticket change unless you have a sympathetic service rep. How ould he get to Prague to pick up his return?

If he decides to bail anyway there is the question of checked in luggage since that will go onward to Prague and if he bails (with carry-on) there will be endless pages for the guy as his fligt is being called.

My advice is to try the agent-upon-check-in routine and if it fails stick with the plan as the return flight may indeed be scrapped since you didn't arrive there in the first place (according to the records).

Regards, Roland
Posted: 2009-05-20, 1:59 pm

Bac si
"My advice is to try the agent-upon-check-in routine "

If he wants an open jaw he should book an open jaw when he makes his reservation.

Roland, you could be correct but I am not sure a check in agent can over ride the original reservation. Once you start a trip I have been told by the airline that I am locked in.

Now I did change my last trip when visiting my son in South America. But that was just changing the return flight. I had a great excuse. I told them a medical emergency and the fact that I had been on the wait list for that flight when I made the reservation. They still charged me for the change. And that had nothing to do with changing the cities I booked.

Make the open jaw when you book the flight. or try to pay a fee now and rebook an open jaw unless the airline can assure you that you can do what Roland suggests.
Posted: 2009-05-21, 4:26 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Peachfuzz,

Does this have anything to do with a return trip to Alkmaar for the Culinary Festival?
I'm interested in a return trip if you know when it is.

Weasel

Posted: 2009-05-21, 4:29 am

PeachFuzz
Thank you everybody for the quick responses.
Roland - have not decided yet whether to take the train or rent a car, but after Amsterdam, we are gonna tour Poland on our way to Prague. My friend will then fly home, while I spend another week in Germany and Netherlands.
Posted: 2009-05-21, 10:45 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
FWIW I was able to book from US to AMS then return FRA to US in July, legs on different airlines, still $760 incl all taxes. Non-stop one way, 1 easy stop return. Oh and from central US.

Pretty good I thought.
Posted: 2009-05-22, 4:14 am

PeachFuzz
Wease,
You know it! Friday, September 11 - Sunday, September 13. Always time my vacation based on the Culinary Festival. Would be awesome to see you there! Also sent you a private message about this...
Neuro,
Yes, checked the "open jaw" pricing for KLM, and it is the same as the roundtrip to Prague. So I got all worked up for nothing!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: