Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dutch language: Het and De
Posted: 2011-12-31, 4:31 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I was looking around for some infromation regarding the use of the articles het and de. I found this among Yahoo Answers, but it appears to be good info, written by someone who teaches Dutch (as a second language)

[Knowing when to use hat and de is] not an easy thing to learn and when learning new word, it's best to learn also whether the word is "de" (masculin or feminin) or "het" (neutral). You can always find in a dictionary whether to use "de" or "het": "het" words are called "neutral" or "onzijdig", indicated with an "n" or an "o" in your dictionary.

However, there are rules for using "de" or "het". They are not exhaustive but they will help you.

First of all, most words are "de" (about 65% to 70%).

- Always "de" for plural: • de appels, de jassen

- Always "de" for professions and for people: • de bakker, de schilder , de broer, de tante

- Always "de" for vegetables, fruits, trees and plants: • de bloemkool, de citroen, de eik, de tulp

- Always "de" for names of mountains and rivers:• de Etna, de Maas, de Alpen, de Rhône

- Always "de" for words ending on -ing, -ie,- ij, -heid, -teit,-a, -nis, -st, -schap, -de, -te, -iek, -ica, -theek, -iteit, -tuur, -stuur, -sis, -xis, -tis, -ade, -ide, -ode, -ude, -age, -ine, -se, -ea: • de samenleving, de spatie, de vrijheid, de kwaliteit, de agenda, de kennis, de winst, de blijdschap, de liefde, de crisis, de alinea

- Always "het" for a diminutive: • het kindje

- Always "het" for words sonsisting of two syllables and starting with be-, ge-, ver-, ont-: • het begrip, het gedrag, het verlies, het ontzag

- Always "het" for languages:• het Russisch, het Engels

- Always "het" for names of metals: het ijzer, het koper, het zilver

- Always "het" for words ending on -isme, -ment:• het Boedhisme, het moment

- Always "het" for words derived from verbs:
• het slapen
Re: Dutch language: Het and De
Posted: 2012-01-05, 10:19 pm

slick
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Well, to anyone learning Dutch: you have my heartfelt sympathy!

Even more so if I tell you that in the post above in some cases where it says "Always", it should be "Usually", because there are some exceptions.
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 2 posts ] 

Jump to: