Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 31 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: The Lesson for Today - There/Their/They're/Your/You're e
Posted: 2006-02-02, 10:32 pm

bobiag
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. 
gezellig, I'm an accurate texter too! I think the network should discard dodgily spelled texts before delivery!

I don't care if you've been cornered by an axe-wielding maniac. If you can't talk properly, the value in saving you, given to society, is out-weighed by the cost of saving you!
Posted: 2006-02-02, 11:13 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Probably my top pet peeve. The worst one that I have seen was "ladie's"

the dogs
Posted: 2006-02-02, 11:14 pm

somefatguy
Bobiag, If the site admin were to do as you ask your last post would not have made the board. It is actually quite comical, that while complaining about others on the board there are many grammer errors in the threads. Even after an edit "uberchef" still has, :"part" spelled incorrectly. While "Bobiag" says, "If you can't talk properly." and then finishes with one of the longest run on sentences I have ever seen. It would be, "If you can not speak correctly." Look I am not now, nor was I earlier trying to start a freanzy, on this topic. I was mearly trying to make a point. In my opinion if you understand what I am saying, what difference does it make if my grammer is correct? I am new to this board, and I enjoy the content of the site. I have enjoyed reading others posts and replying to them. I have enjoyed, answers I have received from the questions I have asked. Whatever the rules of the board are they should certainly be adhered to, I just don't take message board post seriously. I am not trying to make enamies I am just having some fun. But as I can see some of you are very passionate about this, so when participating on this board I will comply with the rules set forth.

Bobiag, you are correct I am American. That fact alone makes english my second language. You got me.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 11:38 pm

peptoSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The following is meant to be strictly instructional :-) from Pepto's ding dong school of writing good.

They're trying to get their acts together over there.
You're showing your ignorance.
I'm too tired after work to give two shits.
We're wondering, where can we wear our thinking caps, as it were?

Mouse
Mices
Meese
Micae
Mice'ye
Mice're

en muizen.

Doog
Pepto
Posted: 2006-02-03, 12:28 am

hutchings
pepto... i bet you could make a kick-ass haiku out of that.

(runs away quickly)

=)

H
Posted: 2006-02-03, 2:35 am

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
As an educated native english speaker who takes delight in the subtlety of my language I hate the poor grammar and spelling seen here and in many other places. However, as a language-cripple who has spent 12 years living in four other countries without mastering the language of any of them I am deeply grateful to those who have mastered enough of mine to communicate with me. Surely this is the most important point: as long as what is being said is clear then what harm is done by "poor" language?
Posted: 2006-02-03, 7:35 am

Mr.Plug
banana - well said, I agree.

But i have to straddle the fence here. On one hand, I agree with ax3tw that wholesale use of improper English is an annoyance. On the other hand, I have to agree with somefatguy that this is just a message board, and as long as the point gets across, then what does it matter?

Maybe ax3tw is referring mostly to native English speakers. I think it would be nice to eliminate the obvious slang and text message style of writing on a helpful, polite, and articulate message board such as this. But as banana inferred, you really have to respect all of those non-native English speakers who come on this board and contribute handsomely. Surely you cannot expect them to be able to use perfect and correct grammar when most native English speakers frequently butcher the language?

It's a slippery slope. I think alot of people would contribute less (or not at all) if they felt that the language police were out to monitor their every comment. Just my 2 cents.

Mr. Plug
Posted: 2006-02-03, 11:09 am

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-02-03, 11:25 am

peptoSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Grammar- isn't she the lady married to old grampar?
It's fun to be a cunninglinguist.

Doog
pepto
Re: The Lesson for Today - There/Their/They're/Your/You're
Posted: 2006-02-03, 12:30 pm

axxxtw Founder
Brain trouble people? It's funny how confused people are by a simple request.

The original post by my colleague simply asked those of you to whom it applies to use certain homonyms (words that sound alike but have different meanings---through, threw) and, possessive pronouns (your, you're) correctly.

Apparently the reasoning-impaired among you, don't understand that this has nothing to do with which regional spellings you choose to use (colour, color), or which colloquial/jargon words you wish to use (gonna, for going to, for example)...none of which are incorrect, or would ever be considered incorrect in these pages.

Lastly, anyone who believes that "this is just a message board", (so why should they show any consideration) can take a hike. Here (not hear), we'll help you.

Last edited by axxxtw on 2006-02-03, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2006-02-03, 12:32 pm

a3xtw Moderator
...and to think it was only the variations of there and your which were driving us nuts. Seems we have opened a can of worms. Please believe we are not the grammar police - added content is more important than perfect textual execution so do continue to post all reports. Just please get there/their etc right, lest we lose our minds ;-)

Shall we all move on to something more Amsterdam-ish and let this gripe just slip down the board? Input has been fun though gents....

p.s. Cannot help noticing that even this morning, after a 20-something reply post, people still dont know the difference between your/youre (even the most vociferous 'anti-grammar police' peeps). Is it any wonder we get frustrated when you spell it out to people and they STILL cannot grasp it? Ongelofelijk!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 31 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: