Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Bike Taxis and laid-back Coffeeshops...
Posted: 2011-10-16, 7:42 pm

Aardvark
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
So, i'll be in Amsterdam again in 17 days (3rd November 2011 to be precise) and i've finally started to let myself get excited and get researching.

This will be my third visit but I do have two questions which I would like answering.

1) Has anyone ever took a tour around Amsterdam by bike taxi? I'm not a fan of organised fun as such so a walking tour doesn't really interest me but i'm certain i've missed some of the history and some of the buildings of Amsterdam on my last two visits and having someone to talk me through some of the finer points of Amsterdam interests me. Could I just pick one up around Dam Square and ask them to take me round for half an hour or so? I quite fancy the idea of sitting there whilst slightly high and getting taken around. It would make a change to all that walking I do! Or, if anyone has another suggestion then feel free to reveal all.

2) I'll probably be doing a lot of smoking this trip but I haven't smoked any Cannabis for a few months now so I can't hit it too hard when I arrive. What Coffeeshops would have no problem with me not buying any Cannabis? I'll by a drink or two, of course. I may smoke a joint of my own but I may just sit down and enjoy the atmosphere. I'm not really interested in smoking Bars as I don't mix Cannabis and alcohol (it makes me feel seriously ill). On previous trips i've bought at least a gram from every Coffeeshop but the one time I didn't was in Hill Street Blues Coffeeshop on Warmoesstraat where I rolled my own with no problems but I'd like to know my options.

My trip report will follow too! Don't worry!
Re: Bike Taxis and laid-back Coffeeshops...
Posted: 2011-10-16, 9:19 pm

balou1999_75962
1) My vote would be for a boat tour. Either sign up for the St. Nicolaas Boat Club http://www.amsterdamboatclub.com/

2) Most shops are okay with smoking your own as long as you buy a drink/food. The only shop I've ever had a problem in was Old Church. YMMV

Peace
Posted: 2011-10-17, 1:54 am

jgramos Moderator
With reference to coffeeshops....some are very strict when it comes to smoking their own weed, but that is the minority of coffeeshops. The Old Church, one or two along Warmoestraat as well. But, the likes of Green Place, Baba, Hunters, Greenhouse Effect, Amnesia, Barneys, etc....all seem fine about it.

Peace

Posted: 2011-10-17, 5:55 am

deadheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I also vote for the boat tour. There's a bunch of them right outside CS. I think it's like 90 minutes.

Very informative, a nice view of stuff from the canals plus you just have to sit there which gives your feet a chance to rest.

I also took the Mike's Bikes bicycle tour which was also good. Different parts of me were sore after that but I rarely get off the couch.
Posted: 2011-10-18, 8:53 am

Aardvark
Thanks JG, it sounds as the majority of shops are alright with it whereas I thought it was the minority of shops that were. Due to the location of my Apartment I'll probably be hanging around in Rusland Coffeeshop, Basjoe Coffeeshop, Green Place Coffeeshop and Bluebird Coffeeshop (for their Blue Cheese) and it sounds like I should be alright in at least one of those shops (if not all of them).

I'd never thought of a boat trip before. It's defiantly an option (especially if there is no rain). Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted: 2011-10-18, 9:44 am

smuler Power Kat
I have never had a problem, but I usually only go to the same coffeeshops, so I'm no expert

November- it might be very cold and rainy for a bike ride

ALWAYS have a fall back plan

I highly recommend the Canal bus

Hop on- hop off all day

3 different ways around the canals

I think it's like 25 E for 24 hours

i thought it was stupid, until a girl took me on it a couple years ago

It changed my mind for sure

Best Regards

Smuler

Last edited by smuler on 2011-10-18, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2011-10-18, 10:16 am

valefar
Baba coffeeshop was my favourite last time. Not the kind of music I liked in there but it was relaxed and I had no problem with the seller :), also close to RLD.

Also Baba means "Father" in my native language :P

Posted: 2011-10-18, 12:20 pm

ajaxamsterdamfan
I back the canal boat tour as well, did it several times and its nice because it gives u time to kick back and relax at the same time enjoying the beautiful city amsterdam is.
Posted: 2011-10-19, 8:24 pm

Aardvark
There seems a lot of love for Boat Tours. Depending on how the weather holds out I think i'll give one a shot! Thanks a lot for all the replies.
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: