Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 16 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Weed ban for tourists in the dam???
Posted: 2005-11-04, 8:45 pm

thesaint1690
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Did anyone else read this in todays sun newspaper in britain if this happens amsterdam will be fucked!!! http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005510311,00.html

Posted: 2005-11-04, 8:59 pm

stuarty1873Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Really cant see it being enforced. Was speaking to a few coffeeshop owners in august and that was there thoughts as well. Think of the money the city would lose out on.
Re: Weed ban for tourists in the dam???
Posted: 2005-11-04, 9:37 pm

thesaint1690
Thats what i was thinking mate, would basically kill amsterdam tourist trade if they did this, plus it would increase crime not lower it as there would be more dealers on the streets.

Posted: 2005-11-04, 10:28 pm

charlie
.......and easyjet would be fecked as well!

charlie
Posted: 2005-11-04, 10:59 pm

420 Power Kat
Interesting article. I smoked when I was a teen and never suffered any noticable mental illness that I am aware off (unless you count being a contributor to this forum) !!

Posted: 2005-11-05, 1:24 am

oidar
Never happen. Whistler would be out of control. All potheads should go to Whistler at least once. If the Dutch banned Weed tourism, some other country would make it legal.

Posted: 2005-11-05, 1:55 am

luvit
I fully agree with the above sentiments. It's hard to imagine that they will really do this, or would even want to.

However... does that mean that the article is just plain wrong and without any basis? There isn't much ambiguity in it. Are we maybe too quick to dismiss it outright? The Dutch have been promising this step for a long time, and I wonder if they are now planning to follow through.

Could it be? Any confirmation in the local press?

luvit

Posted: 2005-11-05, 2:59 am

curiious
doubtful.
... banning tourist clients from coffeeshops is as likely to be followed as asking the rld girls to only give f&s after double-checking their clients so-fi numbers and resident permits.
Posted: 2005-11-05, 3:16 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
This article http://tinyurl.com/cy9zy on Expatica dated November 4 concerns the number of French and Belgian nationals who visit coffeeshops in Terneuzen near the Dutch-Belgian border. The article doesn't say anything about the alleged "no foreigners" proposal that's the subject of this thread. My guess is that if there was anything to the "weed ban" story it would have been at least mentioned in passing.
Posted: 2005-11-05, 6:32 am

seeker
Does this news paper have reputation for printing accurate news.
I'm not familiar with it's publications.
I have been hearing this for some time but have seen no serious action by the dutch other then discussion.

It would create a huge loss of tourist business. It really is not logical as other countries are now starting to soften their policies.

It's that dam ignorant "BUSH" mentality.
The Sun Newspaper...wrong?
Posted: 2005-11-05, 2:29 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Never, I mean,the editor is a fine woman of upstanding moral values, who has never been arrested and, er.......

Oh yes, she can't go home at the moment because of all the paperazzi camped outside her house after giving her husband Ross Kemp a fat lip.

Ha ha deha ha haaaa ha hah haa hah ha RAOFLMAO
Posted: 2005-11-05, 4:35 pm

bedge
So the dutch are thinking of a racisist law to ban foreigners from coffee shops?
i would think it would be against the EU laws.
A coffee shop owner told me last year when this was mentioned that it wouldnt happen on this basis as it would be illegal.
The drug crime is commited by heroin crack and alchohol users not by pot tourists!
This law was talked about at the end of 2004 with plans to ban foreiners from January this year but nothing hapened.
hope it wont this time
bedge
Posted: 2005-11-06, 1:28 pm

FlexgrSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The Sun is a tabloid newspaper. It's not quite down on the level of the National Enquirer or Star in the U.S., but you can expect that most stories are exaggerated and over-simplified. (Love the page 3 girls, though!) I would think we would have heard from someone like axxxtw or Wim if this was being seriously considered in the Netherlands.
Posted: 2005-11-06, 6:57 pm

gezellig
The Sun is just a comic and not a newspaper. What's more it's one of Rupert Murdoch's.

Netherlands couldn't ban EU tourists enjoying the same rights as Dutch as it would infringe EU law. Non-EU may not be so lucky, but let's face it, it's not going to happen.
Posted: 2005-11-11, 2:14 am

CalicoJack
This angle of the article doesn't help it's credibility:

Quote:
BRITISH tourists are to be banned from Amsterdam’s cannabis cafes...

Why British? OK, I know why: Those damn "Brits on the piss" that give us seasoned travellers a bad name, I guess. However, this article in this particular "news"-paper carries little or no weight for me so I doubt it's credibility.

I for one would be very disappointed if I couldn't get a decent chilled smoke in friendly surroundings once a year in the 'Dam, so I hope these rumours aren't true.

Having said that, I'm all for banning large, rowdy groups of belligerent stags and football hooligans... I try to get to NL during the week whenever possible to avoid these embarrasing idiots.
Posted: 2005-11-11, 2:44 pm

dwj
if it's in The Sun it must be true...............not!

Dave
 [ 16 posts ] 

Jump to: