Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Cycling in the Netherlands
Posted: 2009-06-10, 2:13 pm

makelove Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
For a few years I have been dreaming about cycling through the Netherlands and this summer it looks like I might find the opportunity to make such a few days cycle tour along the flat roads in the Netherlands. I'm looking for advice from aybody who has done something similiar or have some other valable information to share. My list of questions is long, like:
-Which are the nicest roads for cyclingin the Netherlands?
-Which are the must visit cities?
-Where is the best place to rent (or buy) a bicycle in Amsterdam (something a bit better than a normal yellow Amsterdam tourist-city-bike)?
-How do you park a bicycle over the night in a safe place (do hotels normally offer places to store the bicycle for the night)?

For the moment I am planning on going south from Amsterdam, maybe through Utrecht and going back through Rotterdam, Hague and Haarlem, or maybe I will instead go all the way to Antwerp and take the train back... any other suggestions...?
Re: Cycling in the Netherlands
Posted: 2009-06-13, 7:15 pm

rheingau Power Kat
I'll just say that although NL is flat, it can often be quite windy, and depending on your journey that non-stop head-wind can certainly take it's toll!
Posted: 2009-06-14, 6:58 pm

fredSupporting Member
Supporting Member
How about the scenic route from Alkmaar through Bergen and Edmond (some topless and nude beaches there) in Noord Holland to Leeuwarden in Friesland?? Along the way, you'll see how the Dutch keeps the water out from the North Sea.

Once you get to the Weaze in Leeuwarden, you can get some good massage with happy endings. Ha Ha...

Then you can take your bike onto the train to the college town Groningen - go see the old exchange, the university, the museum, etc. before taking the train back to Amsterdam.

Regards,
Fred
Posted: 2009-06-15, 3:29 pm

block
The idea that Holland is flat is a mistake...go south into the Limburg region and you enter what is sometimes called "the Dutch Alps" Not mountains by any stretch but indeed some pretty challenging hills. Anyway you will have a great time cycling around. It is a fine way to see the country.

Miles Davis
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: