Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Liege to Maastricht train is NOT considered an "international" tr
Posted: 2009-06-18, 10:28 pm

block
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
If I have posted this already please forgive but my brain incurred two weeks of solid smoking lately and short term memory is a problem. This is not so much a problem when purchasing a train ticket in Liege or Maastricht but this route is no longer considered an "international route" and as a result transporting bikes is much cheaper. However some Belgium conductors are not aware of this and will try and charge this as being an international route. Two different times I boraded the train in Trois Ponts Belgium (no ticket window) and the conductor was not aware of the Liege-Maastricht route. The first time the conductor told me he could only sell me a ticket to the Belgium border at Vise. From Vise the train became a Dutch train and I would need to purchase from a Dutch condutcor the ticket to Maastricht. I knew this was not corect but the guy was nice enough so I just went along with what he said. The next day I did the same trip and the conductor wanted to charge me 29 euro. I already had a bike pass but he tried to explain it was not valid in Belgium (bought it from a Belgium conductor in Maastricht and it had Belgium rail written all over it) so he wanted 7 for the bike and 22 for me. The day before the confused conductor charged me 7 euro for my ticket. I tried to explain my position and the guy seemed to get mad. I finally explained to him I was not going to purchase another bike pass and he relented on that but he held firm to the 22 euro for my ticket and suddenly stopped understanding any English. I relented and paid the 22 euro. Upon arriving in Liege I started chatting with a conductor and explained what had happened. He told me that some of the conductors in rural areas were in his words "dumbasses" ....and that most likely the conductor just geussed at a ticket price. He advised me that if I ever had an issue like that agin to politely refuse to pay and ask for an English translator or have the issued settled by a supervisor.

Miles Davis
Re: Liege to Maastricht train is NOT considered an "international"
Posted: 2009-06-20, 2:12 pm

splodge Power Kat
?????????????????????????????????

Posted: 2009-06-20, 3:35 pm

block
Just trying to save a fellow traveler from being ripped off. In my case every Euro saved is appreciated

Miles Davis
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 

Jump to: