Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Traffic Violation
Posted: 2010-05-19, 5:43 pm

graphix
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I made a trip to 3 FKK clubs in Germany and also to the RLD in Amsterdam back in March.

I just got a letter from my rental car company that I received a traffic violation while driving through Utrecht. It doesn't say for what, but I would guess that it is probably for speeding from a speed camera. I was probably going fairly fast as well.

Does anyone know what a speeding ticket would cost in The Netherlands?

What happens if I don't pay it? I'm not from an EU country and it is doubtful that I will be driving through the Netherlands within the next two years.
Re: Traffic Violation
Posted: 2010-05-20, 10:30 am

G.laGaffe Power Kat
Fine depends on excess speed (above legal in specific location) I just Googled it:

1 - 10 km. : EUR 30
11 - 15 km. : EUR 45
16 - 20 km. : EUR 70 (been there, done that, paid the consequences ;-(
20 - 25 km. : EUR 100
25 - 30 km. : EUR 125

Above you're in real trouble, but as it was within city limits I expect you did not drive that hard.
On motorways, fines are the same, but you can drive up to 40 km. to hard before the shit
starts hitting the fan. Worst is at (signposted) roadworks, where the fine is almost doubled.

You may never get into touch with Dutch Law Enforcement in the next couple of yours, but you
might appreciate a good relationship with the rental company - especially as that may have
a branch in a place you need it for future use (you run a risk of getting blacklisted).

Unless the fine is ridiculously high, I would pay.

Gaston.
Posted: 2010-05-20, 2:19 pm

graphix
If it is priced in that area, I will definitely pay. I was concerned with it being 1000 EUR!!!

I was on my way to Amsterdam, so I would have been on the highway.

I'm actually scared to see how fast I was going. I typically drove anywhere from 90kmh to 160kmh depending on how fast traffic was moving. I feel confident that I wasn't going super fast through Utrecht because the traffic would have been worse. I usually would find a BMW and just follow along with them.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully, I was only breaking it by 20kmh or less :)
Posted: 2010-07-11, 4:36 am

br1965Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Curious ... what did it end up being??

eric

Posted: 2010-07-11, 9:24 am

graphix
23 Euros

I'm in the US and banks here charge around $40 US (about 33 Euros) to do an international wire transfer.

I ended up paying it using XE.com which ended up being just $1 or $2.
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: