Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Maastricht report
Posted: 2010-07-23, 6:17 pm

block
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Just got back from a two week visit to Maastricht and the Belgium Ardennes. I stopped in at 3 different shops in Maastricht. Started out with Kosbor. This shop was undergoing major renovations the first time I stopped in. Bought some cantaelope and some really good amnesia. The amnesia was about the best I had the entire visit. I also made a quick buy and fly at Slow Motion. I have always liked this place even though it gets ripped from time to time in reviews. Easy to find and they open early. I also made a visit to Maxeys. Cannot remember exactly what I bought in there so I guess it was good. Purchased some truffles from Serious Seedshop,which is located almost directly in front of Maxeys. Told the dealer what I wanted and he hooked me up with a nice box of truffles and even threw in a small box of some other type of truffles and told me "I think you will enjoy these as well"

Spent the next 7 days wandering around on my bike in the Ardennes forest in the German speaking portion of Belgium. Really some pretty area and perfect for tripping and enjoying the outdoors. Rented a room at a nice bed and breakfast in Vielsalm and based myself from there. Made two visits to the racetrack in Francorchamps and a bunch of riding east of St Vith.

Returned to Maastricht on a Friday afternoon and decided to hop bus #50 into Aachen. Best way to do this is to ask the bus driver for a "day pass for the bus" This costs 5 euro and allows you to travel on in regional bus all day. Rode into Aachen and had a very nice dinner with several beers. Got ready to return to Maastricht and the bus driver informed me that my ticket was only one way. I knew this was not correct so I told him I would wait. Caught the next bus 15 minutes later and the driver said the ticket was indeed and all day pass.

The last day I was in Maastricht I decided I should consume the small box of truffles that the dealer gave to me gratis. Ate the contents then headed out to wander the town. Whatever type truffles these were they sent me into another dimension. I was wandering around and finally got to the point that I felt I had better have a seat and get myself back in order. The cobblestones near the Town Hall were moving and causing all sorts of problems for me. Finally got up the courage to walk back to the area I was staying in and continued the trip from there.

As always I tried to learn a few things that will help me the next time I visit. I noticed that a bike path has been opened between Trois Ponts Belgium and the racetrack in Francorchamps. This allows you to bike into the race track without having to dodge traffic between Trois Ponts and Stavelot. I realize this means nothing to most people but there are a few folks that ask about advice on the Belgium Grand Prix and this is a excellent way to avoid having to drive into Francorchamps.

I flew into Brussels and hopped the train to Maastricht. This is a quick 1.5 hour ride with a change at Brussels Nord and Liege. The station at Liege has finally been completed. One other note...when you have a change at Liege do not trust the yellow departure schedules located on the platforms. I am not sure why this is but always check the monitors. I ran into this problem last year and the same thing this year. Also when transferring a bike on a Belgium train there is normally not a designated place for your bike although this is not 100%. Best thing is to make eye contact with the conductor and if they have a special place they will let ya know.

I know this a rambling mess for a report but hopefully it can assist someone in the future. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Miles Davis
Re: Maastricht report
Posted: 2010-07-23, 11:40 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
No girls along the way? (I'm always on the look out for intel on the more obscure locations).

Posted: 2010-07-24, 12:31 am

block
It may seem odd but I have a wife that was good enough to let me travel solo so I tend to try and be a good boy. Actually on this trip I was about 95% deaf as a result of a temporary medical issue so I mostly just stayed to myself and observed,stayed stoned and on the bike. I still wonder what some of those folks in German speaking Belgium thought about me when I stopped in for water and supplies and could not understand or even hear what was being spoken.Believe me if I were a single man and maybe 20 years younger I would most likely still be over there.Those Dutch and Belgium women are always easy on the eyes.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2010-07-24, 2:15 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
True that. More than once I've left an RLD only to almost immediately see a civilian pass by who blew all the working girls away.

Posted: 2010-07-24, 6:30 am

FlexgrSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Yes, those Dutch and Belgian girls... I've always wondered if there was a law on the books that requires them all to be pretty and have nice long legs and perfect little asses. :)

Block, how did you get your bike over there? I'm assuming you took your own instead of renting one. Did you just pack it up in a box and check it on to the plane? It couldn't be much fun dragging that through the airports along with your luggage.
Posted: 2010-07-24, 3:31 pm

block
I wished I would have had my own bike for sure. I always rent one at the bike shop located at the Maastricht train station. They usually supply me with a 21 speed hybrid. However this time I had called several weeks in advance to reserve a bike and once I arrived there was no record. I ended up with a 7 speed city bike that could have doubled as an armored tank. Not something made for climbing for sure but I made the best of it. Normally this bike shop is spot on and this is the first time I have had any issue with their bikes or service so I would still recommend using them. I ran across an English speaking chap in Vielsalm who was amazed that I was actually riding that thing in those hills.

Miles Davis
Maastricht report
Posted: 2010-07-24, 4:42 pm

smuler Power Kat
Hola Senor Block....

Good to hear about the great trip, and especially the mention of Spa...

Did you try to ride the Steel Albatross up Eau Rouge ???

How much was the rental per day ?

I just went to Chicago where the thieves were getting 48 USD per day for a rental of a Trex Fx hybrid..

My company picked up the tab on the expense report :-)

Looks like I'll be hitting you up for a room @ Chez Block for F1 Austin in 2012 !!!!
Any scuttlebutt in your local paper ?

Let's see what Ferrari does in Hockenheim tomorrow

I will be in Copenhagen for 10 days in September , with a side trip to Amsterdam

I will go check out Christania, and give a report on the scene :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

Best Regards

Smuler

Posted: 2010-07-24, 6:53 pm

splodge Power Kat
lol. fair play to you mate. sounds like you had a good time. can't wait to go to belguim again. not for the truffles, etc but purely for pussy and ass. lol. believe it or not i have no interest in truffles, etc although i once did a long time ago for a few years.

Posted: 2010-07-25, 12:43 am

block
Smuler I pushed the old girl up Eau Rouge and then when I got over to the hill dropping into Pouhan I walked her down the hill. I always wonder how many drunk NASCAR fans would perish at that track over a weekend. I was just sitting in my garage looking at airfares for Copenhagen even though there is no way I could do it this year. Man I sure would like to do that Copenhagen thing again sometime soon though. I was out of bed watching qualifying from Germany early this morning. Ferrari is most certainly picking up the pace after a bit of a slow start this season. US Grand Prix in Austin 2012. The circuit is going to be very easy access from where I live. Austin is a very cool place to visit so make plans and ya gotta place to stay.

Miles Davis
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: