Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 33 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Abstinence at the World Cup?
Posted: 2006-06-07, 7:21 pm

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Rather than being ironic, I'd suggest that one of the good things about Germany is that they don't sell Annheuser-Busch Budweiser.

Gaston, I couldn't agree more about Wal-Mart. I'm in the US and I'm proud that I've never set foot in one of their stores. Talk about exporting the worst of the US...
Posted: 2006-06-08, 2:45 am

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"The ironic thing about Budweiser is that they're not allowed to sell it in Germany under that name"

My memory is getting pretty lame, but I could swear that I bought a long-neck Bud for nostalgia purposes at a local hangout where I live not too long ago. Not the Czech stuff (which is available everywhere) but the good ole' Auggie Busch stuff.

Cheers,

Dedalus
Posted: 2006-06-28, 5:36 pm

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"The ironic thing about Budweiser is that they're not allowed to sell it in Germany under that name"

I just purchased a good old long-neck "Bud" right here in Deutschland. I guess that they get around the Budweiser name issue by calling it "Anheuser Busch -Bud-" Looks and tastes the same though.

Cheers,

Dedalus, closet red-neck
Posted: 2006-06-28, 7:34 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Shame they cant change the taste as well as the name
American Beer like "Bud"
Posted: 2006-06-28, 10:21 pm

STPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"Shame they cant change the taste as well as the name."

Mike,

There's nothing you can do to improve American Beer. It's even more unsalvagable than Newcastle Brown. There's a good reason we Americans drink our domestic brews ice-cold, you know. And that reason has everything to do with its taste, or lack thereof...

ST
Re: American Beer like "Bud"
Posted: 2006-06-28, 11:29 pm

chivaz
Never was much of a beer drinker, but when I do drink beer, I actually prefer the ice cold non-tasting US beer. Guess I am one of those people who has yet to figure out the delicatassen of beer (does that sentence make a grammatical sense?...hell, is grammatical even a word?).

Chivaz (who is brave enough to admit that he likes an ice cold Miller every now and then, and has some problems with English every now and then as well)
Posted: 2006-06-28, 11:43 pm

STPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Hey Chivaz,

What ever floats your boat is okay...but since you live in Europe, would you actually pay extra for an IMPORTED Miller, rather than have an ice cold Pils von Fass, whilst in Deutschland? Blasphemy to drink USA Miller wann mann in Deutschland ist!

Oh, I always drink my Carlsberg straight from the freezer chamber...I'm a great fan of ice cold beer...but it's 33C outside my window!

ST
Posted: 2006-06-29, 12:13 am

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Hey,

Bud is an acquired taste. Sort of like Nadine, right Mike?

I do not make a habit of it since German, Czech and BELGIUM beers just flat out rule. But there are moments where I get nostalgic and think about a Coors, Stroh's, or a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Sick, no?

Also it really makes you appreciate Hoegaarden, Duvel, and Diebel Alt when you get back to it.

Chivaz; Get back the Germany and I will bring a bottle or two from my collection to enjoy after a World visit.

Cheers,

Dedalus
Newcastle Brown and Alcohol
Posted: 2006-06-29, 2:31 pm

Supporting Member
ST, you mean you do't like a bottle of "Dog" now and then? Dragged up from the bed of the Tyne River?

Ah well, don't blame you. I personally am convinced that drinking it is more of a macho contest than enjoyment.

Just to clarify, the British (and Irish) beers that people think of are not strictly "Beer" per se. They are either Barley Wines (i.e. Bitter, Mild, Stout, Guiness) or in fact they are all strictly "Ale" (Hence, Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, Porters Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale).

Beer is what you would buy in Germany (and sometimes mistakenly referred to as Lager in the UK). Usually golden (but can e ruby and does not have to be barley based, it can be wheat, rye and so on).

Lager Beer is another process altogether and a nother variety of beer, and Pilsner, another variety again (to do with the distillation, or the filter process and so on).

So if you want good Beer, I have yet to have a bad one in Germany. If you want good Ale, then if you search hard in England, you can get it. Easy to get a bad Ale though, because it is still "live" and hard to keep well.

The USA? If I want a good theme park ride I go to the states. If I want good alcohol, then I don't go to where Alcohol is marginalised by law and cultural attitude. Its never going to be able to be the same is it? Horses for courses.
Re: Newcastle Brown and Alcohol
Posted: 2006-06-29, 3:25 pm

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"The USA? If I want a good theme park ride I go to the states. If I want good alcohol, then I don't go to where Alcohol is marginalised by law and cultural attitude. Its never going to be able to be the same is it? Horses for courses."

Hey Mike,

California red wines are pretty darn tasty. Many of them stand their ground quite well with what the French grow and produce. And if you are a tequila drinker, then there are some sweet treats south of the border down Mexico way, baby. Believe it or not, the beer culture in the US has improved a bit since the dark days of Miller and Shaeffer's light. There are a good number of local brews scattered throughout the US that are pretty tasty. Europe still reigns supreme, but there is no shame in some of the lesser know US brews.

Also Mike, if you ever make it down south, then see if you can locate some moonshine. The good stuff, too. If you get the real, genuine article that is done properly, then it is pretty good sipping. Do go easy on it though. If you are not careful, then that stuff can turn on you quicker than mayonnaise in a Texas summer.

Cheers,

Dedalus

Last edited by Dedalus on 2006-06-29, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Newcastle Brown and Alcohol
Posted: 2006-06-29, 8:27 pm

chivaz
"but since you live in Europe, would you actually pay extra for an IMPORTED Miller, rather than have an ice cold Pils von Fass, whilst in Deutschland?"

Hey ST,

No I wouldn't. When in Germany, I drink German beer. When in Belgium, I try to get into the atmosphere of drinking some of the heavy Belgian stuff. Just hav'nt got the hang of it, but I do my best trying. Pigs will fly before I try again getting drunk on Weizen Ale though. Last time that happen, I blew chunks after I got home. That is actually worse than it sounds ..... Chunks is my dog.

"Chivaz; Get back the Germany and I will bring a bottle or two from my collection to enjoy after a World visit. "

Hi Ded,

I am working on that one real hard these days.

Chivaz
Moonshine andwine
Posted: 2006-06-30, 1:06 am

Supporting Member
Actually Dedalus, you ar quite correct. California rescued the French grape as I remember after som great grape famine or other, but as I am hardly a wine drinker, I forgot about the excellent California wines.

As for moonshine, pocheen, whatever you want to call it, I can only say there is no bad alcohol, like there is no bad sex. (If that is actually true of course).

As for the micro-breweries, yes tried them and they arnt bad, but they do not export out of te US so don't count LOL
Re: Moonshine andwine
Posted: 2006-06-30, 1:23 am

DedalusPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"As for moonshine, pocheen, whatever you want to call it, I can only say there is no bad alcohol, like there is no bad sex. (If that is actually true of course). "

Hey Mike,

Some of us way down yonder refer to it as "Holy Water", "White Lightning" or "Mountain Dew".
The good stuff will also kill roaches and run the lawn mower.

Cheers,

Dedalus
 [ 33 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: