Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
A night at the Concertgebouw with Sour Diessel
Posted: 2005-05-10, 10:52 am

420 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
After spending a very nice day wandering around Vollendam with Mr. Moderator *Withnail* I decided to give the Concertgebouw a try. I had tried to book events in the past few years but always seemed to miss the Philharmonic Orchestra. Luck has been on my side recently so I was quite happy to see that there was a performance this evening featuring a very talented German Violinist (Julia Fisher) and a piece by Tsjaikovkski (Dutch spelling).

I had a very nice walk thru the Museum District en route to the Concert Hall, stopped and enjoyed some Dutch Snert and Coffee, smoked a half joint of SOUR DIESSEL from Katsu (thanks to Withnail and Paniked). This stuff has a very nice after dinner taste, very nice SOARING HIGH..LOL... I entered to Hall with a very nice buzz and took a tour around the facility. This place is quite ornate, reminded me alot of the buildings in Vienna. The main color theme is a light shade of cream with beautiful light blue columns-accents throughtout, intricate carved wood details throught, and burgundy carpet,seats, and curtains. All ornately trimmed with gold outlines. The visuals were awesome but the acoustics in this Concerthall was the best I have witnessed in my life. I have been in Great Halls in Vienna, Prague, Paris, Florence, Budapest, New York, Chicago, etc.. and this topped the chart in ambience IMo!!

As the performance began I was quite buzzed, enjoyed the atmosphere and a much needed Cultural break from the streets of Amsterdam. I was lucky and got a center seat about 20 rows back with an empty seat next to me.. The stage is elevated in rows, like a stadium in reverse so every seat has a wonderful view of the Orchestra and equally good surround sound experience. The opening performance by the German Violinist was outstanding, very emotional young blonde women, swaying to the music in a beautiful bright red dress with the Black tie Orchestra in the background. She received 5 standing ovations and performed a solo to conclude the first half,,, unbelievable!!!

During the intermission I stayed in my seat to enjoy the Hall while everyone exited.. An older Dutch couple sitting next to me offered a local Dutch Coffee Candy and started a very interesting conversation with me. Once they found out I was American the man thanked me very directly for freeing him 60 years ago,, he had a tear in his eye as he told me how he was rescued by the Airborne Division of the U.S Airforce (82nd,,, I think). After telling me the tale of his freedom and talking about the current celebrations going on throughout Europe the women started to tell me that they were from a small town close to Alkmaar and if I had ever heard of it.
I laughed to myself and began to tell them how familiar I am with the Town of Alkmaar,, they were quite surprised that an American knew of this area,,,HMMMMMM!!!!

After listening to the final presentation by Peter Iljitsch Tsjaikovski (Symfonie nr.5 in e,ip.64) I headed back thru the Museumplein to my Hotel on the Prinsengracht (Dikker and Thyiss).

Today,, heading to the Maritime Museum and a end of the day trip to Alkmaar (Have not made it there yet),,,, Tommorrow,, off to Goldentime and then heading south to Germany for the weekend,,

tot ziens,

Posted: 2005-05-10, 4:49 pm

420 Power Kat
One thing I forgot,, while making my Internet reservations on bahn.de website I had to enter a German address to enable me to log on for Internet purchases. Was unable to use USA address or zipcodes . Ended up using the following with no problems. Hope they don't start getting junk mail from Bahn advertisements.

C/O Planet Happy Garden
Butzenstrasse 41
47918 Tonisvorst

Posted: 2005-05-10, 10:39 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Good story. I sometimes check what's on at the Concertgebouw when I'm in town and always miss something interesting by a week or two.

Inspired by your tale I'll check the listings before booking my next trip.

HC
Re: A night at the Concertgebouw with Sour Diessel
Posted: 2005-05-11, 10:27 am

DELETED
DELETED
Re: A night at the Concertgebouw with Sour Diessel
Posted: 2005-05-11, 11:37 am

420 Power Kat
Outstanding music,, the Opening piece was beautifully orchestrated,, very light, serene, ubelievable acoustics,, I could here people breathing!! The violinist was very good and seemed to enjoy her work. I was a bit out of place,,wearing jeans and a leather coat. Would blend in with the Wallen but NOT the Concertgebouw,,, ecspecially wearing sunglasses,(just kidding).

The Tchiakovksy piece was memorable as well, have played that piece in an Orchestra when I was young....er !

Back to the thumping, grinding, sex music in the FKK clubs,,, Variety is my spice !

tot ziens,,

[ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: