Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 35 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Cost of Living
Posted: 2005-05-31, 7:02 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Keeping the focus on Iraqi oil, the previous Saddam imposed situation, and the later "oil for food" situation, both seem much less fair and just than the post-Saddam situation.

And you still haven't explained what "war for oil" even means, let alone detailed specific mechanisms by which the US somehow steals away with the supposed spoils of war.

Without some fleshing out the phrase "war for oil" is just empty sloganeering.
Posted: 2005-05-31, 7:14 pm

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
My angry reaction in the earlier post probably should be best left alone - I won't go on another tirade here since it's not what we're here about. I'll make this short.

As far as answering your question, do I really need to give you a list of the companies who have benefitted from this war? Companies like Halliburton, even after the trouble they've gotten into? The Bush administration was, and still is, stingy with the non-American contracts it's handed out - above Canadian, British, French, Spanish, German or Dutch participation.

But I won't convince you of this, I believe, since the sides are already pretty set in their way.
Posted: 2005-05-31, 7:17 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
None of your examples are oil related.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 12:12 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Then you're blind.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 2:14 am

eddie69
Hey Does anybody remember hot wet pussy??? Ed
Posted: 2005-06-01, 7:04 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Ed - Yes! Yes - I've almost forgotten!!

YOU are a wise man - Keep us focused on the true prize....!
Posted: 2005-06-01, 7:41 pm

StarrDluX
Can you even immigrate to Holland? I thought I read the law to be where from the US anyway you can only stay 6 months out of the year for 3 months at a time.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 9:23 pm

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Well, I'm here nearly 8 years now, but you are also correct in that you can only stay as a visitor usually 3 months. I had arranged for a company to sponsor me back in the mid-90s, when the Net economy hadn't popped yet, so they arranged for my move over, got me an apartment, arranged a tax reduction and put me in place. It took 8 months to get all sorted out, but as along as I followed the rules and did all the paperwork, everything went fine.

A company has to demonstrate that they couldn't find someone to take your job locally, so they had to look externally. Because of existing treaties, here's how that worked:
* Put an ad in a paper locally for a month.
* Then nationally for a month
* Then in a European paper for a month

If no-one in Europe can do it, you get the job, Mr. American. And as an American, you have no idea how useless your position is here. Once you get the job, you need to stay in the job for the time required to gain a permanent residence pass ...get ready... 5 years! 5 years with a company that knows if you decide to go that you'll have to leave the country. Pretty much kills any bargaining power you have come contract-time. Plus you'll not know any of the loopholes or assistance when it comes to paying taxes, taking mortgages, getting insurance, etc. Believe me, I could tell stories...

it's a good life, but it takes thick skin and a well-lined stomach.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 9:27 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
"None of your examples are oil related."

"Then you're blind."

If you want to claim that money interests in the US wanted a war in Iraq so their companies could reap profits from things like providing food service to the armed forces, reconstruction contracts, electrical grid repair (more like creation) and so on, then you should say so. That is what you've referenced in your examples. It's an absurd claim, but at least it's related to your "evidence".

But if you want to claim "it's a war for oil" then you have to show something at least vaguely related to the US stealing Iraqi oil.

But you can't because it's just not happening.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 9:30 pm

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Whoops - sorry! I've moved along. I'm not doing this anymore.

I suggest we follow the wisdom earlier in the thread and just enjoy the benefits of a little crumpet.
Posted: 2005-06-01, 9:37 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Okey dokey.
Posted: 2005-06-02, 5:55 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2005-06-03, 6:54 am

lovebiteSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Woofie, it is a good idea to hire an accountant to do your tax if you have not done that already. A good CPA knows all the loopholes to reduce your tax. The tax saving is worth the accountant fee.

Better yet, you can hire a CFO (certified financial officer) to help you manage mortgage, insurance, investment, etc. If you hire someone, make sure they are certified to be trusted. Although certification is a new phenomenon in financial consultants, it is getting more and more in Europe. I met an instructor on the plane to Europe who teaches and administers the financial certification exam, and trains the Europeans, and he told me a lot of the values of hiring a certified financial consultant.

Last edited by lovebite on 2005-06-03, 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Posted: 2005-06-03, 7:00 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I have learned to take an accountant, oh yes - I don't mind the fee if everything is done for me. I'm even using one now who does primarily expats, so it all works out well now. Which reminds me - I have to mail it to him! Extensions, extensions....
Posted: 2005-06-03, 7:17 am

lovebiteSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Good, actually, I don’t mind having your problem if it means living in NL long term. These commutes are costing me just as much...

[ 35 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: