Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 14 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
questions...
Posted: 2005-04-08, 12:27 am

maleg
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Firstly would like to say hello, i like this site and forum and have picked up some good tips... i will be going to amsterdam for my first time with a friend on 18th april from the uk for 5 days...

will be staying near the middle of rokin street....

Was wondering about shopping there [apart from everything else that this forum discusses], i.e. clothes and electronics... is it cheaper in amsterdam than in the UK?

One of the major things i want to purchase is the Sony PSP... I read on another forum that an electronics shop at Schiphol airport is selling them, any bought one?

thanks

Last edited by maleg on 2005-04-11, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Shopping
Posted: 2005-04-08, 3:05 pm

Traveller
I'm not sure if you will find electronics all that cheaper. There are some elecronics/computer stores around central Amsterdam, but nothing too amazing. You may need to go out of town to larger supermarket type places...others maybe able to advise you.

Purchasing at Schipol can be good...they have a web site, that informs on stock amd prices - to a degree.

I buy diving equipment, and have been looking for a particular popular dive computer. They had everything else, apart from the one I wanted...when I aksed, they said they do not stock it...and not "out of stock"...strange.

I think you can phone and ask...like Dixons at UK Airpports; they will give you the price and also hold an item for you.
Posted: 2005-04-09, 8:20 pm

deton8ed
Interestingly enough myself and significant other will be on Niuewe Doelenstraat 24 wich is nearby I think. Anyways, the 420 CUP is 4/18,19,20 and will be fun if you are interested in that sort of thing. We have guest passes but day passes are available at Seeds Botique on Singel 163. It will be held at Fat City. Sorry, don't have any advice for shopping. I do it online.
Posted: 2005-04-11, 3:24 am

burgerbhoySupporting Member
Supporting Member
must admit i did look around for some clothes but found them more expensive than both ireland and uk, also the fashion is well different.
Posted: 2005-04-11, 8:44 pm

maleg
deton8ed have you got anymore info on the 420 cup? Website? Am guessing you talking about smoking.... I personally have never tried it, but the friend i am going with does smoke all that stuff.... Any info for a newbie to know?

thanks for the info burgerbhoy

I have some other questions that would be great if you guys could help answer them....

First, food, where are the good but cheap places to go [on a low budget].....

second, how to avoid the ladyboys? Do people ask before going into a kahmer?

third, what is legal to smoke outside the coffeshops? i.e. in the parks, on the streets, etc...
Posted: 2005-04-11, 9:52 pm

paniked Power Kat
maleg,

you'll find answers to those questions via the Search facility -- help yourself :)

cheers,
-paniked

Posted: 2005-04-11, 10:20 pm

deton8ed
Much obliged

http://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Some very great poeple of breeder caliber will be in attendance. Hosted by the guy who got me started on the whole self sufficiency kick. Anyways, check that site if you are interested. Very interesting people abound.

Info is plenty at the link above. If your travel partner is interested to see this, be at Seeds Botique any time on the days mentioned. Wake n bake by dutchghrown aroun 9:30 every day. Plenty to go around at Fat City as well. A great time to be had by all. We are very much looking forward to it. Feel free to say hello if you see us. I just might have a Funky hat on... and shades. If that distinguishes... Heh...

Enjoy your trip... I know I will. Immensely...
Posted: 2005-04-13, 1:52 am

luther vandross
You might check out the Albert Cuyp market. There's a village market/flea market vibe and apparently you can get good deals on essentials. It's toward the northern side of Amsterdan in an area called the Pijp. Give it a try.

"Trams 16, 24 and 25 stop at the junction of Ferdinand Bolstraat and Albert Cuypstraat.
The stop is called Albert Cuypstraat."

Posted: 2005-04-13, 3:19 am

oidar
I got a PSP for $243 on ebay.
Posted: 2005-04-13, 9:01 pm

maleg
thanks for the info guys.... and after checking out the search i still did not get anything good about cheap restaurants, mainly fast food like BK, mcdonalds, etc.... although pizza hut wouldn't be too bad to go to now and then if there is one there....
i got an email back from the schiphol airport.... they are selling the psp for 349.99 euros, which is £240.... that is expensive.... anyway i just bought one about 30 minutes before posting here from an ebay seller with 2 games, case, screen protector..... hopefully will get it before going on monday next week, although not vital.....

deton8ed i have emailed that link to my friend so will see if he wants to go or not, he is a lot more into that sort of thing but i personally don't have anything against it or have anything against seeing it, so will see.....

4 days left :)
Posted: 2005-04-13, 9:56 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
There's McDonalds all over Amsterdam. No Pizza Huts as far as I know. Try FEBO too.
Posted: 2005-04-14, 3:20 pm

maleg
yeh i heard about febo, will check that out if i can... thanks
Posted: 2005-04-14, 3:25 pm

jynx100
there are loads of little cafes and sandwich shops around Dam square (not just the smoking kind) and the food in them is normally really good. I find they help the munchies much better than mcdonalds.
Posted: 2005-04-15, 6:09 pm

maleg
ok thanks for that, should be good then since the hotel is close by.....

can you believe i had to go to the doctor for a throat infection today... he said that good job you didn't leave it any longer otherwise it would have turned into tonsilitus! so anyway got my medication for the trip for my throat, hopefully it works and gets rid of it....
 [ 14 posts ] 

Jump to: