Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Nieuwe Herring Season!
Posted: 2005-04-29, 9:11 pm

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
So I hear that Nieuwe Herring season comes about in mid-May...

Hoping that I'll be able to experience some delicious Hollandse Nieuwe during my trip!

Who here on Ignatz makes it a mission to get a taste of herring while in Amsterdam? I myself have only had Maatjesharing, which is older than the first-of-season green herring (nieuwe).

Traditionally, a barrel of "Koniginenharing" (Queen's herring), the best of the season opener, is presented to Queen Beatrix annually....I'd like to see her take the tail between forefinger and thumb, lean back and eat a whole herring!

Anyways, does anyone have a favorite herring stand they'd like to recommend, or perhaps has anyone else tried nieuwe herring before? Will it be available in mid-May?

Why do I feel like everyone who reads this will say "ewwwww".....come on now, it's a Dutch tradition! When in Rome....or Amsterdam for that matter...do as the Amsterdammers!

*chasing the herring's tail*
~uber.
Re: Nieuwe Herring Season!
Posted: 2005-05-02, 12:20 am

iloveamsterdam
stupid question but what does herring taste like?..fresh tuna?..sardines?..crab?..is it a very oily fish?.
Posted: 2005-05-02, 3:58 pm

uberchef
Well, nieuw herring (green) is supposed to melt in ones mouth...I can't provide more detail as I've never tried it. Hopefully, I'll be trying my firsts next weekend!

Matjesherring, served year-round, is salty, with a firm consistency. It's not cooked, I believe it's salt-cured as a preservative? Ususally served chopped in to bite-size pieces with pickled gherkin (sweet pickle) and diced onion. Garnished with a nederlands flag for full-effect!

Probably not the best thing to eat before dipping in to a kamer though...

Anyways, that factor won't steer me away from indulging....I encourage all you naysayers not to knock it before you try it :)

Happy tasting~
uber.
Posted: 2005-05-02, 11:36 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I've never been in A'dam when I knew I was getting "nieuw " herring, although the herring stands have the "nieuw herring" signs up all year. Herring is a bit oily but very mild tasting, not very fishy at all. It's a less firm fleshed fish than tuna, but if you enjoy eating raw fish you should enjoy the herring. Uberchef is right, it's best with onions and pickles. A herring broodje, cut up herring with onions and pickles on a bun, is also nice and may be a bit easier to approach for those who are a bit squeemish. But really, if you like sushi you'll like herring. I really haven't noticed any difference between the various stands. I've had a lot of herring from the following stands (and never got sick or had any herring that wasn't really fresh)

In front of the Westerkerk,
In Haarlemerplein
On Damstraat right near the Greenhouse Centrum (that one's come in really handy)

Eat up!
Posted: 2005-05-02, 11:55 pm

uberchef
Some people reach for a candy bar after smoking but ABC prefers the herring, baby!

Product concept: herring flavored lollypops?

Thanks for your feedback man, appreciate it! I'll let you know if I get the real first-of season stuff upon my return...

Tot ziens~
~uber.
Posted: 2005-05-04, 5:27 pm

Thaipan
Henks Heering on the canal bridge in Dam Straat is good as is the one beside the WAG.

Posted: 2005-05-09, 9:40 pm

katertje78
You should know that holding the herring by the tail and then lowering it into the mouth is the way of peasants (= any dutchman living outside Amsterdam).
People in Amsterdam are more sophisticated than that: we let the fishmonger cut the herring into pieces and then we eat the bits with a small stick.

By the way: a good herring tastes good by itself, so there's no need for pickles and onions. Only a foul herring needs the camouflage. Besides, it's the onions that cause bad breath, so if you're planning on visiting a lady...

The first keg of new herring is not presented to Her Majesty but usually sold to the highest bidder. The money goes to a filanthropic cause.
Posted: 2005-05-09, 9:46 pm

uberchef
Dank u wel for the first-hand advice / corrections Kat ;o)

Do you know if the niewe herring is available currently?

I'll be eating mine peasant style, bedankt. Call me Mr. Proletariat Blue colllar herring eater! de lekkerste!

Till Amsterdam...
~uber.
Posted: 2005-05-09, 10:37 pm

katertje78
Dear Uberchef,
The new herring is traditionally presented on "vlaggetjesdag" (flag day), which will be on Saturday June 4th, 2005. http://www.vlaggetjesdag.com/
Enjoy your new herring in whatever style you fancy, but be sure to try the herring once without the pickles & onions and you will feel the fresh salty fish melting in your mouth...
Yummy, almost as good as eating pussy.
Posted: 2005-05-09, 11:33 pm

uberchef
Certainly sounds tasty...
But alas, it seems as though I'll be just a couple weeks too early for the niewe herring!

Yet another reason to return to Amsterdam...
~uber.
Posted: 2005-05-11, 9:49 am

lovebiteSupporting Member
Supporting Member
At least herrings are 100 times tastier and softer than lutefisk... Any Norsk around here who likes it better?

Posted: 2005-05-11, 10:03 pm

Roland Power Kat
Try Stubbe just past Nieuwendijk. There are also several stalls in the Albert Cuyp Market and a good herring man on Utrectstraat as it crosses the Prinsengracht. I pass on the pickles as it takes away the taste in my opinion. Onions are optional but you should try it plain or aon a broodtje. And I agree it can taste as good as and also look as pink as (and sometimes even taste better than) pussy. Regards. Roland
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: