Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Uberchef Gets His Just Desserts...
Posted: 2005-06-07, 12:03 am

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The Grand Central Oyster Bar's Nieuwe Herring Festival here in New York City starts June 1st and should last until Saturday, June 18th...

Herring lovers will enjoy the season for less than a month. The Herring is flown-in, air expressed daily to the Grand Cental Oyster Bar from Scheveningen, The Netherlands, on the North Sea where the herring fleet makes its home.

Not only will the Oyster Bar receive the very first herring shipped to the USA, but the cream of the catch, as well.

If anyone needs me, I'll be at the Oyster Bar eating niewe herring...finally!

Tot ziens,
uber.
Re: Uberchef Gets His Just Desserts...
Posted: 2005-06-07, 8:50 am

Wim Admin
hey Uber , I'm coming over , well , at least I think about it when I have a (nieuwe) herring today - good for the production , do you know the Brits don't eat (disgust) the raw herring, while they are surrounded by herring , they prefer it kippered or fried. Am I right ? It was some 7 centuries ago that Dutch fisherman Willem Beukelz "invented" the "haring kaken" , a way of preserving the fish by immediately cleaning it and salt it .... , have a good niewe herring dessert today in Nieuw Amsterdam ..... , Wim
inline image
Herring Hotties!
Posted: 2005-06-09, 1:14 am

uberchef
Mr. Wim! What a wonderful picture....if the quality was a bit better, I would definitely make it my desktop picture here at the office. Nothing like watching cute girls gobble whole herring...whoa! Quite suggestive...

That indeed is news to me that the British in general have a distaste for raw herring...I myself am a connosieur of raw fish...the Japanese have truly mastered the art of preparation and presentation. For sure though, the #1 factor when eating raw fish is freshness.

The historical tidbit about Willem Beukelz is very interesting as well...since reading your post a day ago, I shared the knowledge over pints of Heinekin and delicious herring with friends here in the niewe Amsterdam epicurean circles...making sure to credit my friend Wim, who lives there in Amsterdam and knows his herring (amongst other things....)

Bedankt!
~chef.
Posted: 2005-06-19, 5:59 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Just a quick thanks to Uberchef for for spreading the word about the Nieuw Herring festival at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central. I was there on Friday and the herring was exquisite. I eat a lot of herring when I'm in Amsterdam but I've never been there during nieuw herring season. I really didn't know what I was missing. The fish is firmer and far less oily than the (what do you call it? Oude Herring just doesn't cut it) run of the mill variety. Went back today (Saturday) just before heading to the airport and alas, the season has ended. Once again, Uberchef, thanks!
Posted: 2005-06-20, 5:13 pm

uberchef
Ah, ABC!

I am happy to hear you were successful in making it to the Oyster Bar in time for herring! Indeed, it was a fine experience, especially the cute waitresses dressed in traditional Dutch-maid attire...brought back fond memories of Iris's cute (and much more revealing) outfit....

The oyster bar is a classy joint, no? It was my first trip there and I was suitably impressed by the bustling atmosphere and architectural design.

The herring as you report, was indeed top-notch. At the close of my meal, I took two filets to eat outside in my backyard garden later that evening (I wanted to experience the herring al fresco) and before I left, asked the management if they were going to be giving-away the cool herring/dutch flags at the end of the event...unfortunately I was denied as they said they reuse them every year, but instead, to contact the Dutch embassy and they might be able to provide me with one! I'll be getting on that this week perhaps...

Tot ziens!
uber.
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: