Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam pre-paid cell phone
Posted: 2005-06-29, 1:35 am

frank dracman
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm coming to Amsterdam soon from the US, and my cell phone won't work. Is there a place (preferably near Leids) that I can buy an inexpensive pre-paid cell phone, or rent one?
Thanks
Re: Amsterdam pre-paid cell phone
Posted: 2005-06-29, 1:52 am

lovebiteSupporting Member
Supporting Member
If you have a tri-band GSM phone with a SIM card, your phone should work in NL. What you need is to unlock the phone. You can either call your cell phone provider or the manufacturer of the phone to get the lock-code. Once you unlock the phone, it can be used internationally. All you need is to buy the pre-paid SIM card from any of the cell phone providers.

Alternatively, some multinational cellphone providers, such as T-mobile, has service in NL, and you can use your cell phone without needing to unlock it or swap the SIM card. All you need is to ask them to turn on the international dialing (World-Class Service), so you can keep your own number, and anyone can reach you even at the kamer. I have one and use it all the time, feeling like home away from home.

Posted: 2005-06-29, 2:25 am

frank dracman
Thanks for the response. I already talked to my cell phone provider, and they don't have service overseas. They offered to send me a phone that would work over there as a rental. Then I would have to return it when I came back. I'd rather buy a temp in Amsterdam, or rent one, but I'd like guidance where.
Posted: 2005-06-29, 7:39 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Phone stores abound and places like the Free Record Shop in most train stations. If you walk down the Kalverstraat, one street right of the Damrak, you'll come across a great number of phone stores.

One thing to note - most all of these pre-pay phones are locked to a network: T-Mobile, Vodaphone, Hi (KPN-Dutch govt network). They may be tri-band phones, but you'll always be calling out of Amsterdam when it comes to billing, even from home. (Someone correct me here if I'm wrong...)

Phone shops - look for:
* Bel Company
* Vodaphone
* The Phone House
* Free Record Shop (they sell records but also some phones)
* The Post Office (they sell the Hi-branded phones. Bling bling! - not)
Posted: 2005-06-29, 10:47 am

withnail Power Kat
a nokia phone on pre-paid vodafone tariff costs a minimum of around 30 euros (with which you get 10 euros free credit at vodafone shops). you then just buy vouchers for 10 or 20 euro at a time but bear in mind the calls are damned expensive. i prefer to term it 'rape-as-you-go'.

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2005-06-29, 1:57 pm

tw25rw Power Kat
You might find an online service like Skype useful.. Obviously you have to be at a net PC to use it, but it's cheap and they can call you for the cost of a local call and leave voice mail (though you have to pay to set that up).

Posted: 2005-06-30, 3:44 am

innisarden
Hey Frank,

I am terrible with street names but I'm sure there is someone who can clear up the names. If you are at Dam square and start walking down the main shopping street that runs towards the station, this is the street that doesn't really have cars on it, help me out someone. All along this walk are phone stores where you can pick up a cheap phone. You might start by taking your phone with you it might just need a new card to work in AMS. I am sorry about the name trouble i think it has something to do with what I spend most my time doing in AMS, short term memory loss.
Posted: 2005-06-30, 4:10 am

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Here's an option that I did...

Visit a site like Mobal (http://www.mobalrental.com) and get a free sim card (must have an unlocked phone, which was my situation), or purchase a GSM phone w/sim for $49.

You'll have a UK number, which people can reach you at all over the world (including A'Dam).

Advantages: they charge your calls to a credit card you provide (pay for what you use); it's a UK number (easier than explaining why you have a Netherlands number sometimes!); works like a charm.

Disadvantages: per minute can be pricey ($1.50/min to US).

For me, having a phone w/ me is for convenience and for emergencies. Hardly use it at all, but the peace of mind is invaluable.

Hope this helps.

- Auston
Posted: 2005-06-30, 7:28 am

WoofieeSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Frank,

Innisarden is describing the street I was talking about - the Kalverstraat. If you're in Dam Square, and you're standing in front of the Palace, Looking right you'll see the Rabobank and Madame Tussauds (that street in between) and looking left you'll see McDonalds, Burger King and Febo (looking right, obviously for lunch). From that point you could walk right, but you'd probably do better walking left, down past the Rabobank... Plenty of shops in that direction...
Posted: 2005-06-30, 7:16 pm

vicgoo
To unlock a phone you need to do a search on Google for your phone for example-type in nokia 6620 phone unlock and it will direct you to a site that can do it.If it,s a nokia the software can be found for free,others you may have to pay.Dont call the service provider they will refuse to help

[ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: