Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 13 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Rijsttafel
Posted: 2005-07-11, 6:43 am

nuggy
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I am planning my second trip to Amsterdam this fall and have decided that one of things i absolutely must experience is the Indonesian rice table or rijsttafel. i have done some research and it sounds really good.
Any recomendations for decent places? nothing real fancy just good food and not too far from my hotel on Warmoestraat.
also i will be traveling alone, will i look like an idiot ordering that much food for one person?

Thanks,

nuggy
Re: Rijsttafel
Posted: 2005-07-11, 7:45 am

nuggy
found this while looking around for info:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html
Posted: 2005-07-11, 4:14 pm

uberchef
Hi Nuggy,

Was going to suggest Kantjil & de Tigre (Spuistraat 291-293) as I've read consistently good reviews about it for the past few years. Sort of an Amsterdam staple, perhaps, although admittedly, I've never been. I hear reservations are compulsory...as with all popular restaurants in Amsterdam.

For my part, I went for Rijstaffel at Tempoe Doeloe on Utrechtsestraat and had a pleasant dining experience, worthy of recommendation I'd say.

About eating solo though...well, that is something I don't recommend if you're getting a rijstaffel plate! Your stomach could be doing backflips after eating all that alone...and in no shape for window shopping either. I suggest trying to coordinate with another Ignatzmicer who may be in town at the same time...a giant and multi-faceted meal like that is best eaten with a friend to share it with!

Happy eating,
~uberchef.
Posted: 2005-07-13, 5:57 am

a9g7dom
Try Sarang Mas, right on the damrak just an easy walk from central station/Victoria Hotel.
Went there with the recommendation of knowing dutch friends and they were right.

Sarang Mas
http://www.sarangmas.nl/
Damrak 44 622-2105
Posted: 2005-07-13, 6:08 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Went to Knatjil & de Tigre this winter. Didn't need reservations, but it was late on a Wednesday in February. Got a 14 dish table that filled three very hungry, very high, diners. I really had a great time. I would go back again if I was in the neighborhood.

Any recommended Indonesian restarants in The Jordan?

Weasel

Posted: 2005-07-13, 9:06 am

attymn
I also agree that Knatjil is very good. May be slightly pricey. The rijsttafel thing is supposed to be for several people, at least the one they serve. It is great food though, so go after you've been to a coffeeshop, and gotten some serious munchies.
Posted: 2005-07-13, 10:56 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Cilubang on Runstraat is excellent and reasonably priced. They have a web site at www.cilubang.com that is far flashier than the restaurant. I've been there three of four times over the last couple of years and it's never been disappointing.
Posted: 2005-07-13, 5:49 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2005-07-13, 10:51 pm

ignatbandit
I have had it twice at Bojo's and it is great. From what I have heard though, Tiger place referred above is the best in town!
Posted: 2005-07-14, 1:05 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I love Bojo's. I've never had the rijstaffel there but their Bami Rames Special is an enourmous plate of Indonesian food, sate, tofu, pickled vegetables, beef in a spicey sauce, chicken leg in a spicey sauce, hard cooked egg that's seasoned and fried. In short, it's kind of a mini-rijstaffel. Most restaurant menus serve their rijstaffels on the basis of the number of people in the party. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a rijstaffel for one, but my guess is that if you asked it could be done. A rijstaffel for two would be a huge amount of food for one person.
Posted: 2005-07-14, 4:35 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Long Pura on Rozengracht 46-48 is excellent. Not cheap, but they serve rijstaffel for one. The place is divided into a main floor restaurant where you can order full meals, and upstairs bar where you can order sates and other appetizers along with drinks... And the hostess is gorgeous.
Posted: 2005-07-16, 8:18 pm

Zack
Sama Sebo is my favorite. They are located at P. C. Hoofstraat 27, near the Park Hotel and the museums. Best to make reservations though. They get booked. Their phone number is 20.662.8146.

Good eatn'.

Zack
Rijsttafel in the Jordaan..........
Posted: 2005-07-19, 6:39 pm

Roland Power Kat
Try Padi on Haarlemmerdijk right hand side of the street going away from the center.. Very reasonable and authentic. Sama Sebo is high end and very nice. Also a good place on van Baerlestraat on the Museumplein side and down one and a half blocks but can't remember the name of the place. Sorry. Regards. Roland
 [ 13 posts ] 

Jump to: