Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Hunter S. Thompson Update
Posted: 2005-07-14, 5:31 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Yes, he is still dead. His last wishes include having hs ashes blasted out of a cannon into the forrest behind his home in Colorado. The family is reviewing offers to build a Museum/Library in a nearby town. During the review of his personal papers, they found an unpublished manuscript. Maybe we will finally get to read "Fear and Loathing in Amsterdam"

Weasel

Posted: 2005-07-15, 2:55 am

Mr.Plug
As the result of a thread on Hunter Thompson some time ago (when he died), I'm finally getting around to reading, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". I'm enjoying reading this so much I'm getting depressed that it will come to an end soon!

I highly recommend this book, as did many others back in the original thread. I would think it would be classic reading for many of us on this board, who enjoy the kinds of amusements that we do...

Is that for real about the Amsterdam version? That would be great!
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Update
Posted: 2005-07-15, 4:25 am

fatboy1Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I liked his first book, "Hell's Angels", written in '67 and read in '68. Highly recommended reading for understanding how one can get his ass whipped by hanging with the bikers. Certainly caused my desire for buying my Harleys in the early 70's.
Posted: 2005-07-15, 7:16 am

Supporting Member
The title and topic of the manuscript have not been released. Wishfull thinking on my part.

Posted: 2005-07-15, 4:32 pm

Rainer
I first read "Fear and Loathing in Las vegas" when I was in college. It was first printed in Rolling Stone magazine (back when the magazine was about drugs and rock) around 1970 or 1971. At the time I believed every word to be true. However, I recently re-read it, and now I think that the good Doctor added a lot of embellishment and exaggeration to make the story more enjoyable and dramatic. But that doesn't take anything away from his accomplishment. The book was a classic of the time. Also, like another poster said, Thompson's Hells Angels book is a n amazing document, perhaps the best thing he ever wrote. And it was also one of his first books and helped to develop his writing style.

Posted: 2005-07-15, 7:43 pm

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
For those unfamiliar w/the late Dr's work it was part truth, part imagination fueled by drugs and booze blended together so smoothly that you suspect but are never sure where one ends and the other begins. Along with the other books mentioned check out F&L on the Campaign Trail '72 for his unique take on American politics. More recently Kingdom of Fear is a very good work that rivals his work in the 70's. ESPN.com used to run his column on its Page 2 before he died but I haven't checked to see if his stuff is still online. It's mostly short rants but fun to read and best of all - free!
Posted: 2005-07-15, 10:57 pm

attymn
The last time I went to the Dam, Hunter had just died, and Rolling Stone devoted the whole isse to him. I brought it along with me and read it after smoking some good weed and taking some magic mushrooms. Fear and Loathing In Las vegas is a devastingly great book about one thing: the end of the American Dream and the end of the idealism of the '60's in the early '70's of Nixon. For good reasons, people remember all the crazy drug scenes, but I re-read it recently, and it's amazing how often that the main point is articulated. This is why the movie couldn't capture the magic of the book, and it's also why another Fear and Loathing in__________ cannot be made.
Posted: 2005-07-16, 4:40 am

Supporting Member
I used to think that Hunter S. made up most of his adventures. Then I learned about mushrooms and ether. Now I am convinced that he actually toned down his reports so as not to frighten the meek.

Weasel

[ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: