Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Passport needed?
Posted: 2005-07-14, 8:00 pm

Totoro
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hello,
I just heard a disturbing rumor... hope it's false, but nowadays you never know...
It seems that, due to the recent terrorist bombing in London, France and the NetherLands have retired from the agreement that allowed free circulation of EU citizens... in other words, in order for me (Italian citizen) to visit Amsterdam (or Paris, for that matter) my ID card is not enough anymore,and I'd need a passport. I'm not sure about the details, and anyway I really hope it's just a false rumor... anyone here got any news on this topic?

In any case, good for me I already have a valid passport, if they ask for it... I'm leaving tomorrow, I'd never have the time to obtain one now!
Re: Passport needed?
Posted: 2005-07-14, 8:09 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Ring your airline who will know.

however, I do not believe this is so. Do you expect them to erect border controls on every road all of a sudden for instance?
Posted: 2005-07-15, 1:08 am

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I doubt the Schengen agreement of open borders would be changed without any debate or public announcement. I've seen nothing in the press suggesting a change is either in the works or about to be implemented. So I say rest easy and go to Amsterdam without a passport at your first opportunity, Totoro.
Posted: 2005-07-15, 12:00 pm

w481
excerpt from Financial Times...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"France has reintroduced border controls with its EU neighbors in response to perceived threats after last week’s terrorist attacks in London that killed at least 52 people.
To authorize the controls, France on 8 July activated a clause in the Schengen agreement that allows EU countries to implement or remove controls over their common borders."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This story is all over the media (in Europe). Not sure of the extent of the controls, are they going to stop cars at all the borders? Checking passports on trains and planes again. This will require a massive scaling (back) up of the border control personnel.

This concerns me because I'm technically an "illegal alien" in France. I routinely overstay my 3 month tourist visa (been living here 3.5 years). As a U.S. citizen I can obtain a long term visa but the paperwork is a lengthy, and until now, I have not had any problems. So I have not bothered.
I always thought that if I got kicked out of France, I could just fly back to Amsterdam (with a brief layover for pleasurable activities) and take the train back to Paris.

But even before this event, I noticed spot checks on the Thalys train between Paris and Amsterdam.
Posted: 2005-07-15, 3:18 pm

rheingau Power Kat
despite the Schengen agreement, Air France/KLM and Lufthansa have always asked for "Passport" at check-in en reoute to Amterdam. Up until now a driving licenece or other acceptable ID would suffice. These arilines will also ask for such documents when checking in in Amsterdam to fly to Paris.

All German destinations to and from Amsterdame have never in contrast required any for of ID at either departure or return.

I will undoubtedly be visiting Pairs in the next week or two and will report on current arrangements.
Posted: 2005-07-16, 6:28 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Curious as to the impact on auto traffic...anyone know?
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: