Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 3 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
De Westergasfabriek
Posted: 2005-08-02, 8:25 pm

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
(translated from www.westergasfabriek.com)

The Culture Park Westergasfabriek has something irresistible: a special place in the town there is activity everywhere: work on fashion, new media, theatre and film. There are restaurant and dancing facilities and events to be visited. It is an inspiring environment where new ideas can grow.

After the Municipal Energy Company had left in 1990 the buildings were used temporarily for creative and cultural activities. This proved very successful. An inspiring mix emerged of art and daily life, of permanent and temporary hiring out for all sorts of events, such as festivals, commercials, fashion shows, operas and circuses. As a result of all these activities the Westergasfabriek became known culturally in Amsterdam as well as far beyond the border. This temporary definition of the buildings and of the conceptions of park, culture and activity were the basis for drawing up the development project for the Westergasfabriek in 1996

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's the background, here's the foreground. There's a hot fashion show happening this week and my favorite Amsterdam-based photo-journalist Thomas Schlijper is on the scene....follow this link for some most excellent snaps of the models. You're going to love this...I know I do!

http://www.schlijper.nl/index2.html

Tot ziens~
Uber.
Re: De Westergasfabriek
Posted: 2005-08-02, 10:08 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Damn you, Uberchef. Everytime someone posts that url I end up wasting hours of my time and falling into a deep Amsterdam reverie. Oh well, I guess I can forgive you afterall you turned me on the Nieuw Herring Fest at Grand Central.
Re: De Westergasfabriek
Posted: 2005-08-02, 10:29 pm

uberchef
I agree ABC, anytime I visit TS's excellent site it brings me back to Amsterdam!

I corresponded with him before my last visit to AMS and basically conveyed the same sentiments in appreciation for the excellent photography . He kindly reciprocated by suggesting to me an excellent photography museum/exhibit called FOAM, in Amsterdam.

From the website (www.foam.nl):

"Foam (Fotografiemuseum Amsterdam) exhibits all genres of photography: fine art, documentary, applied, historical and contemporary; a museum with international allure. Along with large exhibitions of established (world) famous photographers, Foam also exhibits emerging young talent in smaller short-term shows"

An excellent culturally enriching alternative to the usual museum-stops! Here are all the details for your next visit...

Foam_Photography Museum Amsterdam
Keizersgracht 609
T +31 (0)20 551 6500
info@foam.nl

Open daily from 10am to 5pm , thu/fri 10am to 9pm.

Admission € 6,00

Foam can be reached by tram: 16,24,25 Keizersgracht stop
 [ 3 posts ] 

Jump to: