Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 1 post ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Who Betrayed Anne Frank
Posted: 2005-08-15, 9:00 am

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Last night on UKTV History channel was a very interesting journalistic investigation into "Who betrayed anne Frank".

The wartime scenes of Amsterdam were very interesting, showing a city so much the same, but also so different, with horses and carriages going over the bridges and canals you know so well, instead of cars.

For those interested, the journalist/researcher Carol Anne Lee made a very good case for the professional Dutch Jew Hunter Tony Ahlers, who's family blame him, and who himself boasted that he did it.

However, Otto Frank himself wrote a leter of support the the Dutch War Crimes commission in support of him, saying he "saved his life" during the war.

Recent reseraches suggest, that could have been through blackmail, because Ahlers was a middle man selling product from Otto Frank's company to the germans during the war. (Not a think Mr Frank wanted widely publicised).

Unfortunately Mr Frank is no longer around to ask, since he died in 1980. The Netherlands Institute for War Documentation (NIOD) has recently decided there is not enough evidence against him, or any of the oter leading suspects and has closed the case.

In some ways, grim stuff but in other ways, great stuff, which makes me want to go back to Amsterdam even though I only left on Saturday morning. Despite my flirtation with FKK's which have led me down south to Germany, I still believe that Amsterdam offers a more "all round" experience.
 [ 1 post ] 

Jump to: