Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Keeping it warm
Posted: 2005-08-21, 2:19 am

aztekno
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I hope to be making my 5th trip to the Dam in March 06. All of my past trips have been in June or September, the March trip is to do a few drive by’s @ a hair/salon show in Utrecht @ Jaarbeurs convention center. I plan to spend a little time in Utrecht for “tax purposes” but most of my time in Amsterdam. I know this must sound whacked!!!! But…I’m traveling from a warm climate to a cold and rainy one, so I have to buy a proper jacket. Really!! I don’t own anything that would keep me from freezing my ass off in Amsterdam. I’m trying to take advantage of this time of year to get a deal on a winter coat and was looking for some insight from anyone.
Would you go with a leather with say a zip in fleece liner? Does leather keep you dry in the rain?
Or, would you go with a ski type jacket that’s water resistant with a fleece zip in/out liner for added warmth. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks ! Aztekno
Re: Keeping it warm
Posted: 2005-08-21, 7:58 am

Joecaddy
aztekno,

I typically visit only in the colder months, November thru March as the better deals for airfare are to be had, accomodations are cheaper and the summer crowds are long gone. Living in Southern California we share simillar climates, sunny and warm so I can relate to not having the winter wear in stock. I would suggest layers as you can adjust to the weather, I invested in a good leather jacket. Try starting with a t-shirt and maybe a light fleece jacket, then a durable leather jacket on top. Leather if treated will repel the rain, it always looks good if you buy a traditional style and will last a long time. It might be a little costly for a nice quality jacket however chances are three years from now it won't be outdated and will still look great.

Lang Leve Nederlands!

Joecaddy.....
Posted: 2005-08-21, 6:34 pm

ignatbandit
Get a fleece lined Gore-tex jacket. I hear they are pretty good.

Your leather jacket idea sounds good though.

You can always dive into a coffeeshop or a kamer for warmth though ;-)
Posted: 2005-08-23, 12:43 pm

block
A Gore-Tex jacket with a fleece liner will keep you dry and warm in almost any weather.A good heavy leather jacket does the trick as well.I have worn both and they each do a great job.Northface makes a very good gore-tex jacket and these jackets can adapt to the milder winter weather a little easier than a leather jacket.Be sure to have yourself some dry comfortable shoes!!

Miles Davis
Posted: 2005-08-23, 2:38 pm

Wim Admin
More important in winter is that you keep the tool-box warm and your hands !!. Get some tight undertrousers - not a summer boxer , nothing is more irritating than getting a cold pee pee .... , and good gloves , nothing more irritating when you enter is cold hands , it'll kill the foreplay ....
W.
Posted: 2005-08-23, 3:56 pm

a9g7dom
The key is layers. A t-shirt, with a sweater or sweatshirt on top and then a ski jacket. I have a South Pole ski jacket with a hood, so I don't even bother with an umbrella. That should keep you nice and warm.
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: