Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 14 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dutch talk show host to take heroin on air [News]
Posted: 2005-09-21, 5:15 pm

axxxtw Founder
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands Sep 21, 2005 — The host of a new Dutch talk show plans to take heroin and LSD on the air in a program intended to reach young audiences on topics that touch their lives, producers said Wednesday.

The show, scheduled to premiere on late-night television Oct. 10, is called "Spuiten & Slikken," or "Swallow and Shoot Up."

read more:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=1145177

Posted: 2005-09-21, 7:23 pm

Frans Hals
My former wife died of an overdose of heroin. It was the second time she had tried it. She felt that it was the hip thing to do. She had an attack of acute vomiting and probably aspirated the vomit causing her suffocation. I asked the police to consider first degree murder charges against her supplier in accordance with the law where I live. It was doubtful whether there was enough evidence to convict him, but he was obviously worried, because he avoided being interviewed by the police by skipping town and committing suicide three weeks after she died.

Hopefully something similar will happen when this young man is on air. As this program is intended for young people, it would be most educational for them to see the pros and cons of heroin illustrated by his death on live TV.
Re: Dutch talk show host to take heroin on air [News]
Posted: 2005-09-22, 12:23 pm

nolan1000
"My former wife died of an overdose of heroin." - - - "Hopefully something similar will happen when this young man is on air"

What the F**k????

Frans, are you seriously wishing for the death of this man? You who obviously enjoy the liberal society that the Netherlands is, are coming on to this site and expressing the most illieberal (one might say fascist) views!!

It is because the Dutch are so liberal and realistic about life that they recognise the fact the people make their own decisions in life (you make yours and I make mine) and for some people those decisions will include the decision to take heroin. If we ignore something it does not mean that it does not exist. While our children live in a world where a myriad of drugs are available for medical and recreational use, then it is a moral requirement for us to educate them. Contrary to what Nancy Reagan believed "Just say No", simply is not enough, and like it or not people of all ages will continue to use drugs (even ones that you don't choose to take Frans!). Not every heroin user will overdose and die, any more than every smoker will die of smoking related diseases. Therefore all we can do is educate and inform.

I bow my head in respect to the Dutch administration and to the wonderful people of the Netherlands.

I truly hope that your wish for the death of a young man (who I imagine you are not acquainted with) is not granted.

Peace and freedom to all the residents of this beautiful and terrible planet on which we live.

Nolan.
Posted: 2005-09-22, 2:46 pm

tw25rw Power Kat
Edited after rereading..
Posted: 2005-09-22, 3:30 pm

Rainer
I read this morning that the show has caused an uproar in Holland and might not take place.

Posted: 2005-09-22, 6:58 pm

Frans Hals
"It is because the Dutch are so liberal and realistic about life that they recognise the fact the people make their own decisions in life (you make yours and I make mine) and for some people those decisions will include the decision to take heroin."

The Dutch people are not so stupid as to have mandated their government to make heroin legal and it is not legal to buy, sell, or use heroin for recreational purposes in that country.

From Newsweek:

"Justice Ministry spokesman Ivo Hommes said it was not immediately clear whether Wesselink could be prosecuted. Possession of any amount of heroin is illegal, but in practice police usually do not arrest anyone with less than a half gram of the highly addictive narcotic. "

There is nothing wrong with a TV program for young people to provide information about heroin, because any objective presentation will conclude that using heroin is utterly stupid as well as illegal. But for a TV presenter to actually take heroin on TV is a sensationalist, attention seeking gambit that serves only to promote his own notoriety. It will serve him right if he dies.
Posted: 2005-09-22, 9:27 pm

gezellig
They let an 8 months pregnant woman into their version on Big Brother and she was expected to give birth on the show. That was dropped after an outcry I believe, so perhaps same thing will happen here?
Posted: 2005-09-23, 8:43 am

katertje78
Don't mistake indifference for tolerance...
Posted: 2005-09-23, 11:54 am

nolan1000
"It will serve him right if he dies."

Who are you to make such judgements Frans? Your wish for the death of individuals unkown to you, is to say the least, disturbing.

"But for a TV presenter to actually take heroin on TV is a sensationalist, attention seeking gambit that serves only to promote his own notoriety"

On what do you base this statement Frans? Have you personal knowledge of the individuals intent?

As you tell us, your former wife died during a heroin induced vomiting fit. On that basis alone I would have thought that you would recognise that there is very little glamorous in the sight of a semi comatose and sweaty individual covered in their own vomit.

katertje78.
"Don't mistake indifference for tolerance..."

Dont mistake recognition for promotion...

The point I was making (sadly missed by some) was that like it or not, heroin is available worldwide and (Shock! Horror!) some people will choose to use it. I have also heard that some people choose to use marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, amphetamine sulphate, tobacco and alcohol. What's more (believe it or not), some people actually pay to have sex with women who under normal circumstances (i.e. without financial incentive) would have nothing to do with them. Which ones should die and which should live Frans? The ones who do the things you choose to do? Or do we have a choice? If so, do we not have a right to be informed and a duty to inform?

The tolerance of the Dutch is what has this thread running now, because you can bet your last dollar/euro/pound/yen or whatever currency you use that the concept of someone demonstrating the reality of a first time heroin hit on television would never have happened on ABC, BBC, Canal+ or any other non Dutch tv station.

Although I find your desire for the death of this individual highly offensive I recognise your right to express your view. I just CHOOSE not to agree with you.

Live and let live my brothers and sisters of planet earth.

Nolan.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Posted: 2005-09-23, 11:59 am

nolan1000
Edited. Duplicate submission.
You are a complete cunt
Posted: 2005-09-24, 1:44 am

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
And trhe point you also made, sadly missed by yourself, was that this man's wife died from this evil habit, caused God knows what pain to Franz, is now being thrust in Franz's face again, bringing all the pain back (as a cynical showbiz stunt) and all you did was lay into him showing your complete and utter lack of class.

Oh... an a PC stain through you wider than a skunk's white streak..
Re: You are a complete cunt
Posted: 2005-09-26, 11:49 pm

nolan1000
"you are a cunt"

For calling for tolerance? Remember we are talking about the call for the death of another human being.

I think it is you who missed the point!

I however wont call you a cunt.
Re: You are a complete cunt
Posted: 2005-09-27, 8:52 pm

MikeDeHavillandSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Er.. thats "Complete Cunt" actually. (And you wouldn't be the first to call me that if you did.)

Actually, I was drunk when I posted this. I was going to ask for it to be removed. But now in the cold sober light of day, I rather like it the way it is.
Posted: 2005-10-04, 3:12 pm

Frans Hals
"It will serve him right if he dies."

"Who are you to make such judgements Frans? Your wish for the death of individuals unkown to you, is to say the least, disturbing. "

If the guy takes heroin on TV and reports a pleasant or neutral experience, then it is almost guaranteed that some young viewers (this TV show is aimed at young viewers) will perceive this as a green light for present or future experimentation with heroin. Young people are often easily influenced by persons they perceive as hip. No I do not know this TV presenter, but I am willing to bet that he will be trying to present himself as a hip, trendy person, will use the type of language and slang favored by young people etc., etc.

If he dies onscreen (a long shot, to be sure) it will have no value whatsoever in promoting the use of heroin and may discourage others, so he will not have lived in vain.

Last week I was talking to an American expatriate in a hotel in the Dominican Republic. He owns a bar and is himself a heavy drinker. I very rarely drink and even then only a glass of wine or half a bottle of beer. He was advancing exactly the same arguments as the poster above in favor of tolerance and individual decisions to justify the fact that he makes his living exploiting drunks. On Sunday I spoke on the phone to a friend in Puerto Plata and heard that two days after I had spoken to him that Russ (the bar owner) was in jail because he had been driving home drunk late at night and had been involved in an accident that killed a motoconcho (motorbike taxi)driver. They don't serve meals in DR jails. Either your friends bring you food, or you starve.

I wonder if his defense will be that his individual right to get drunk takes precedence over the lives of others.
 [ 14 posts ] 

Jump to: