Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
get married in Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-03-22, 8:29 pm

markcheech
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi everyone, My wife and myself are returning to Amsterdam in May. We would like to renew our vows and get re-married in A'dam. We've searched the web but cannot find anything to what we are looking for. Does anyone have any information or can point us in the the right direction? We live in the US, and want to renew our vows in A'dam.

Thank you !
Re: get married in Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-03-22, 9:49 pm

katertje78
Renewing your vows may be the latest big thing in the US, but over here we don't bother.
Funny that you should ask such a question on this board, where marital vows are quite rarely observed...
Posted: 2006-03-22, 9:55 pm

markcheech
no not the latest big thing, something that has been around for years and years. and right marital vows are rarely observed, but this board has always been a good source of information from everything to women, pot and everyday things about A'dam
Posted: 2006-03-23, 3:27 am

dwj
I hope we get at least one useful reply to this as I would also like to renew my vows with my wife in Amsterdam....especially after my last trip!

Dave
Posted: 2006-03-23, 3:50 am

mojoworksSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't know where you would go to renew your vows. But if your a Beatles fan at all, you should get the suite at the Hilton where John and Yoko spent there honeymoon and had their famous "bed in".
Posted: 2006-03-23, 5:56 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-03-24, 3:04 am

markcheech
^^^

Well it looks like we have our answer. As much as I did not want to hear that, but what can you do.

thanks everyone for your help
Posted: 2006-03-24, 10:54 pm

katertje78
Mark,

I'm sorry for sounding a bit derogatory in my previous reply, but renewing your vows is something I only know from seeing it on tv, like in The Bold & The Beautiful, where they do it every other month, it seems. This whole circus strikes me as odd, hence the reaction.
So here's how it goes in Holland:

- First you go to Town Hall to announce your intended marriage. You're required to do this no less than 10 days and no more than 1 year before the date on which you intend to get married. The municipality will then publish your intended marriage, so that people may object (sound familiar?). Meanwhile, the municipality will check both your identities to prevent bigamy.

- A marriage is only valid if authenticated by the municipality. This is called the "civil marriage". You may marry in an other town than your residence, but be sure to sort things out properly with the authorities of the town in which you wish to get married.
The procedure for The Great Day is basically that a designated civil servant will read you the rules of marriage (I was gonna write "rules of engagement" ;-)), after which he will ask you if you both agree ("I do"). You may then exchange rings and kisses and whatever.

- This one is optional and can only be performed if the civil marriage has been validated: arrange with a church of your religion for your marriage to be consecrated.

I think this last one may be your best shot (anyway the least time consuming) at renewing your vows, since you're already married and things may be easily agreed upon when you explain your wishes to the church.

There are some fine old churches to be found in Amsterdam, both Catholic and Protestant and whatever other beliefs there are.

I sincerely hope this info will help you along.

Kind regards,
Kater
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: