Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
English moving to Ams?
Posted: 2006-06-16, 7:20 pm

french7034
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hey guys,

All the talk of Americans moving to the Dam makes me think...

how hard is it for a British person to move to the Dam? Of course we are EU citizens and that allows us to go everywhere in the EU etc but are there any drawbacks as for our American cousins (apart from the lang barrier and housing costs)? Is it as simple as getting a flat and moving out there? Also, how hard are jobs to come by? I wouldnt want a high paid job- being fresh out of college, just a basic job really...

Cheers

Frenchy

Posted: 2006-06-16, 7:53 pm

MovingtoAMS
The british have it the best compared to the US. Since they are a part of the EU they can find a job to Amsterdam easily and move there as well with no restrictions or permits whatsoever. The rest of the world is second rate compared to the citizens of the EU in this regard. This goes for the whole EU not just the British either. I wish I knew a girl from England or Amsterdam. I'd pay her a couple hundred dollars for helpnig me with the marriage and as soon as I found a job with my freshly approved residence permit and work permission under the marriage, I'd repay her for her kindness for a few months well in interest and then move on with my plans. If she still wants to remain married I'd definitely oblige her. This said, if anyone knows a girl willing to do this, let me know. I'm most definetly serious about this plan.

In response to the previous question on how hard would it be to rent a flat or find a good job. I've just graduated college with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management and have been scouring the internet for this very information for about 2 months now. If you'd like to get this info, just email me at my email address below. I'd send you the info for free on a definite solution for your quest. If only I was born in England or Amsterdam. I would be way past the stage im in right now.

If anyone sees this and has info about companies willing to sponsor Americans for work permits or work under the table in Amsterdam, please contact me at Valentine.Inc@gmail.com. I'm trying to move there as soon as possible.
Re: English moving to Ams?
Posted: 2006-06-16, 8:56 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
French

as an EU citizen* you have the right to live and work here - no residence or work permit required - although there is some bureacracy to deal with: you will have to register as an alien, at the Gemeente (local council) and get a SoFi number (think national insurance number).

Obviously, getting a job depends upon your skills and the local market conditions. Suggest you start at http://www.undutchables.nl/ and also have a look at http://www.expatica.com/.

Lack of local language is not a major problem for living/social activity, especially in the Randstad area, but will limit your options work-wise. Suggest you focus on multi-nationals, especially those with Head Offices here such as Shell; don't expect to get expat terms.

Good luck, B61

*some restrictions on citizens of newly joined countries.
Posted: 2006-06-16, 10:54 pm

french7034
Thanks for the info guys...

The language will be easy to learn, I already speak Spanish and French and am learing Czech, so I should be able to pick it up in a year or hopefully less with lessons...but who knows i hear it is a hard language!

Cant wait to live in the Dam, heaven on earth!

Btw, about the English girl willing to marry some1...I'm sure I could find one if you are deadly serious! The sort of people I know would be "dwon wit dat" as they say in the big apple!

Frenchy

Posted: 2006-06-16, 10:59 pm

MovingtoAMS
OK, thanks for the feedback. So you know a girl? Tell her to email me at my email address below. I'm most definetly serious. I'm on a mission and I won't be stopped. This is no jokes aside. I will pay a girl for this favor. All she has to do is agree and come with me to the city hall, or the Dutch equivalent.

If anyone sees this and has info about companies willing to sponsor Americans for work permits or work under the table in Amsterdam, please contact me at Valentine.Inc@gmail.com. I'm trying to move there as soon as possible.
Posted: 2006-06-17, 7:43 am

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
French

my own view is that for a native english speaker the vocabulary is relatively easy whilst the grammer is more difficult. However, it's the pronounciation which is a killer; not sure that French or Spanish will help you.

B61
Posted: 2006-06-17, 12:04 pm

french7034
True, but just assuming that being able to learn languages, i could pick up Dutch relatively quickly... who knows, only time will tell!

[ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: