Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam Weekly website
Posted: 2006-06-21, 3:48 pm

withnail Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
if you want to keep up to date with whats on in amsterdam (aside from the updates here) you can now check out www.amsterdamweekly.nl the free english language newspaper in the city which has just gone online. the paper has been running for a little over 2 years now in printed form, carrying comprehensive agenda listings for clubs, live music etc on a weekly basis. also, loads of interesting stories each week about amsterdam including this week a feature on John Sinclair, the ex-MC5 manager, now doing free radio shows here in the city. anyway its well worth adding to your favourites along with ignatzmice ;-)

doog!

withnail
Re: Amsterdam Weekly website
Posted: 2006-06-21, 5:09 pm

Luther Head
Man, looks as if the complete paper is on-line.
This is a great English language source to what's going on in town. As you notice, it comes out every Wednesday.
Posted: 2006-06-21, 5:19 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-06-22, 8:15 am

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Excellent. Can now plan my movies before arrival.
Posted: 2006-06-23, 6:56 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
This is great. Thanks for posting the heads up!
Posted: 2006-06-24, 10:00 pm

amsterdamfats
Sinclair came out during two of the three Black Crowes shows at the Paradiso in March. He read a poem on the first night and the third night and recorded a show for his program on the middle night. I believe the dolphins is his home away from home.
I thought i noticed they have free wireless internet there too......

John Sinclair has an interesting history here in Michigan. Had never heard of him before March.
Posted: 2006-06-27, 10:18 am

withnail Power Kat
Yes, Sinclair is listed in the article as 'poet in residence' at the dolphins coffee shop.

doog!

withnail
John Sinclair
Posted: 2006-06-27, 6:44 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
John Sinclair was quite a countercultural figure in the early 70's. He was a political activist in Michigan who got busted for 2 joints and sentanced to 10 years in prison. Out of that grew the Free John Sinclair Movement. At that point in his history John Lennon was getting his feet wet in "radical politics" and took up Sinclair's cause. One of Lennon's few post-Beatles live performances was at a Free John Sinclair Rally in Michigan. He even wrote a song called (of all things) John Sinclair. As I recall the chorus was "they gave him 10 for 2, what else can the bastards do". (You can find the lyrics at http://tinyurl.com/k58b5 )It wasn't the artistic high point of Lennon's career but what the hell. In April my wife and I were hanging around the Dolphins quite a bit and we noticed an older guy who was incessantly typing on his laptop, loudly telling anyone who would listen that he was a poet and kind of generally being a pain in the ass. Little did I know until reading it here that the disheveled guy at Dolphins was the once quite famous John Sinclair. I heard him say that he lives upstairs. So there you have it, a real live cultural artifact, one with Beatles connections none the less, is in residence at the Dolphins.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: