Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 31 posts ]  1, 2  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Going To Amsterdam Alone? Good or Bad Idea?
Posted: 2006-07-04, 9:58 pm

penthief
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm planning my trip well ahead of time and would like to know if travelling alone is a good or bad idea?
Re: Going To Amsterdam Alone? Good or Bad Idea?
Posted: 2006-07-04, 10:12 pm

wannachat
i travel to the dam all the time on my own and love it. Infact i just came back last weekend and had a brill time. I have been to Amsterdam about 40 times both with people and on my own and the best times have been on my own. Just make sure you keep your wits about you and you will be just fine. If you need any help with any thing just pm me and i will be glad to help you with what ever i can. Enjoy.
Many regards

Posted: 2006-07-04, 10:19 pm

jamie123
i'm going on my own this week m8.this will be my first time on my own. First of all i thought "hang on, thats a bit sad james", but then i thought, i don't need all my mates around to have a good time. I'm on speakin terms with a few of my favourite coffeshop owners. I can do what i want, when i want, no mates runnin out of money and poncing, or getting arrested! ( long story) I'm personally lookin forward 2 it, u should 2.
Posted: 2006-07-04, 11:50 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Suggest you reallly ask yourself if the main reason for the trip is to hang out with mates or have sex/smoke.

Personally, I prefer on my own; can set my own agenda and change it at will.
Posted: 2006-07-05, 1:03 am

tonek
Agree with all the other comments no problem at all going alone I love it.
Posted: 2006-07-05, 2:51 am

Zack
Yes, Yes, no problem. As long as you are happy being by yourself, by all means, go alone. I have done it many times and have always had a good time.

Zack
Posted: 2006-07-05, 9:28 am

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
alone everytime for me. took a girlfriend once, and it was moan/moan/moan every 5 mins. alone def for me !!

Posted: 2006-07-05, 11:11 am

gezellig
I've gone solo twice and it's never a problem. No compromises means you get to do exactly what you want to do and it's easy to strike up conversations in the c/shops and bars. Plus you may get to meet up with someone from this board if there's people out the same time as you. Only downside is you're paying twice as much for the hotel room, but at least you can have 'company'. ;-)
Posted: 2006-07-05, 6:40 pm

markcheech
in a short sentence..

It's great alone in the dam!

I've been there with friends and wifes, and have been with myself and my wife and have gone alone.

With friends, you get all the drama that goes with it. With my wife, we had an incredible time. Alone I had the best time! Love my wife to death, but getting up when you want, going places you want and doing what you want is the BEST!

Enjoy it, and as others have said, be aware of where you are. You'll have a fantastic time for sure!
Posted: 2006-07-06, 2:01 am

catechat
Whole heartedly concur. If your main purpose is not to get stoned out of your mind then solo is best. I went once with a party and felt like the proverbial "cat in the bag". The only thing I don't do which perhaps I would if I was with a group is walk around the RLD after midnight on my own. I did that once as well and felt very vulnerable even though it was probably safe. I also keep stashes of money and cedit cards in various places about my person because of course if you are on your own then you need something to get you back home.
Posted: 2006-07-06, 2:19 am

attymn
I've gone to the Dam alone a few times and loved it. You will too. Many advantages:
1) No witnesses;
2) You will want to maximize every moment of pleasure while there,
so why throw an upredictable element into the mix that might want
to do other things, or have a different agenda;
3) Hanging with another person might cause you to spend either too much or too little;
4) Easier to snag a chair at the smaller coffeshops (and most of them are very small);
5) You can choose any lady you want in the RLD without worrying about your buddy's opinion
of her;
6) No witnesses;
etc., etc...
Amsterdam is the safest major city I know of. Even the RLD after midnight is safe, as long as you use common sense and don't stray down too many dark, empty alleys, while tripping on mushrooms with you wallet half hanging out of your pocket.
Posted: 2006-07-06, 5:58 am

Oldster
I always travel alone. The only problem, and it exists only in my mind, is going to a restaurant to have a sit down dinner. The establishments are geared for couples and groups. I go early, a little after 1700, resign myself to be seated at a two top next to the kitchen, have a couple of beers, eat and leave. The freedom to do what I want, when I want, far outweighs that minor anxiety.
And there's always Albert Heijn, Hot and Cold, but NEVER MacDonalds.
Enjoy, Oldster
Posted: 2006-07-06, 6:16 am

papawhiteheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I've gone pretty much at least once a year since 1998. I've been with a group the first couple times. Then just my wife and I for a few times. The last time I went alone. This next time (August) I'm going alone for the first 3 days then my wife will be joining me for the last 4 days. Everytime I've been, I've had an amazing time. The big groups were fun but hard for us all to hang in the same place at the same time. I probably have had the most fun when it's just me and my wife. Some people might think that taking a girlfriend or wife is like taking sand to the beach, but with my wife it's more like taking Gasoline to the Bonfire. When I was on my own, I had a great time and I could go where I wanted when I wanted ect.. but I had no-one to share experiences/adventures with and I kinda missed doing that. In August I'll get the best of both worlds, so I'm real excited about that. Yeah, my wife rocks, and yes I know I'm lucky. Whatever you decide, I'll bet you'll have a great time. Take care ~Robje
Posted: 2006-07-06, 12:30 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
my thing is ts in bloed etc. can imagine the scene if i was with a crowd of friends, alone everytime 4 me

Posted: 2006-07-07, 12:15 am

Earthly1hereSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I've visited several times alone and enjoyed myself a great deal. Also made a few trips into Germany for some FKK action alone which I thoroughly enjoyed. Like the others have said, there's both good and bad to it. Will I do it again, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!

Posted: 2006-07-07, 1:58 am

iloveamsterdam
it's cool being a lone wolf
as the other chap said the only times you can feel out of place is
when having an evening meal..i've just got back from holland..
visited amsterdam,utrecht,den haag and stayed in alkmaar..
as much as iloveamsterdam! ..it was great to get out of the big
city and chill with a more local dutch crowd..
Re: Going To Amsterdam Alone? Good or Bad Idea?..
Posted: 2006-07-07, 1:22 pm

GROGmaster
Going alone is fine, believe me you'll have no worries, I do it all the time.

However it can be a bit awkward in places. Some weed can be so strong over there that the paranoia can manifest itself. Sometimes when I'm spaced as hell on weed I get self conscious just sitting there on my own in a coffeeshop. It annoys me feeling like this, saying that though I just can't seem to stop myself from perpetually moving from one place to another, as there is only a certain amount of time you can sit there staring at the same scene in each coffeeshop or pub totally on your own. It's all silly stuff I know.

I've been with mates before but they are bored of Amsterdam now, can you believe that.!? I go all the time now on my own and if I'm completely honest, half the time it's great being solo as you can go and do what you want at your own pace. But at times you wish you were with someone to share it all with, it can leave you a bit anxious after loads of beers and joints and no matter how much I tell myself I will try and cut down the walking and the bizarre constant changing of establishments, I always seem to find myself wandering all the time for somewhere new. I wish I could stop myself but it always happens.

Amsterdam can be very lonely on your own, but as I've got older and more experienced with all the times I've been, I really don't give a fuck anymore, but I used to feel like this for sure. Going alone is absolutely fine, I guarantee you will not be the only one, just make sure you it least talk and converse with others as much as you can, piece of cake, now I find it a laugh going on my own.
Posted: 2006-07-08, 2:20 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
3 times with friends, 20 odd times alone tells it's own story. And my friends are nice :-)

Quote:
The only problem, and it exists only in my mind, is going to a restaurant to have a sit down dinner.

Couldn't agree more. Restaurants are the only place I feel uncomfortable alone. Ridiculous isn't it. Have you seen that episode of Frasier where he dines alone? Very funny.

HC
Posted: 2006-07-08, 8:21 pm

attymn
I know that awkward feeling when you dine alone. After a while, I learned to enjoy it for many reasons. Just "people watch" like you would anywhere else in the city. Order a beer to get you in the right mood. There's nothing to feel awkward or embarrassed about - remember, you have probably been seen smoking weed in public, and been seen going in and out of womens kamers. Lots of us don't have any problem or feel any awkwardness or sense of embarrasment being seen doing these things. Heck, after a good session in a kamer, I proudly open the door to exit with a big smile on my face and high-five the first guy who walks by.

Perhaps I understand the feeling more when dining in a fancy restaurant, but otherwise, no reason to feel awkward. Just bask in the the glow of your recent exploits, and think about what you are planning to do while you're still there. Even plan out what you want to do for your remaining time there. Bring a small pad and write it down while you're waiting for your food. I'm sure a smile will come to your face.
Posted: 2006-07-08, 11:13 pm

alelover45Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Great Question...Amazing answers...
I'm in the same boat as well.
I'll be coming over in September (5th till 10th) by myself... AND, for the first time too.
So, I've been wondering the same thing...

Went to Italy and Spain with my 16 year-old son back in April.
Got to share a couple of pints together while watching all the crazy stuff on La Rambla.
Met a couple of young senoritas while clubbing in Barcelona...Double Score...
(I was so proud of my boy!)
Good Times......A bonding experience that neither of us will ever forget.

But...The idea of being on my own in Amsterdam is very exciting...
Besides, I can't very well share some of my planned experiences with my 16 year-old.
Not yet anyway...

The advice for going solo is helpful...
Sounds like i'll have to get myself a dining companion to hit the restaurants...
Have to be a bit more outgoing...Makes for a nice challange.

Much like you Penthief, I'm relatively new to this site...
We're lucky to have these nice people to steer us in the right direction.
I hope when I get over, I'll be able to enjoy a pint and a puff with some of the fine individuals on this site.

Have a great time,
 [ 31 posts ]  1, 2  Next

Jump to: