Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 31 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Going To Amsterdam Alone? Good or Bad Idea?
Posted: 2006-07-09, 5:16 pm

pem
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The 2 magic words when travelling to the dam with friends is - NO RULES -

Each time we go we know that we might not see each other for a while, perhaps even a whole night, but usually we bump into each other here and there. have a drink or a smoke. We usually go for food together cos we get hungry about the same times or we may plan a visit to somewhere outside the RLD. So i do find myself on my own and its great. you meet new people maybe have an adventure (like get arrested) and when you meet with your mates you swap stories. never had a problem in the dam apart from one crackhead trying to help me find a coffeeshop once. he kept pestering me so i told him to fuck off and he left. he did say he would get me for that but i never saw him again. the moral is be cool, dont walk around with a map, and just completely ignore the dealers/ crackheads hanging around.

(3 days, 24 hours and still counting!!!!)
Posted: 2006-07-09, 7:34 pm

Diabolo
I was 2 times alone in Amterdam and I will be there alone again soon, on Friday. So I would say that going alone is a good. BUT everyone needs a buddy from time to time to talk. The best thing would be to have a friend that disappear when you do not need him anymore, and that can be here when needed ( I also desperately seeking for a girlfriend like that ! ).

Is there any place on this forum with personal ads to meet other travelers in Amsterdam ?
Posted: 2006-07-10, 9:54 pm

Bxboy56
I've been to Amsterdam about 10 times. Only twice with other people. I prefer like most going solo. No concerns about "being by myself". Plenty of nice friendly travelers to talk to. It can be a bit lonely while eating in a restaurant. I usually have my breakfast at the hotel, and another meal at about 18:00. I look for a restaurant on Zeedik that has quick good food. My first time ever in Amsterdam, I was alone, and spent most of the time lost and retracing my steps after heading in the wrong direction. Whenever I was lost, I would stop into another coffee shop, relax few a few minutes and then go on my way. That is why I now know my way around all of downtown Amsterdam, and have been to most of the coffee shops. Enjoy the experience of being by yourself and getting lost.
Posted: 2006-07-16, 7:42 pm

copper
i just came back from a solo to Amsterdam on Wednesday for the 13th time, i have been with mates a few times but i enjot going by myself more because there is nobody to slow me down, i can get out of my bed when i want, i can stay up as late as i want and i can smoke as much as i want without anyone getting on my case.

There are a few downsides as have already been mentioned such as eating alone and smoking alone but i now find it much easier to strike up conversations with strangers in coffeeshops than i use to when i first started going 5 years ago, i did use to get very paranoid sitting in coffeeshops by myself but nobody gives a shit. Go by yourself and you'll have a great time, just trust your instincts do plenty of research on this board before you go.
Posted: 2006-07-18, 10:26 am

Michael
It can be a little lonely traveling by yourself, I have done it both ways in the dam. It seems that you meet a hell of alot more people when you are solo, but you feel a little safer with a bro with you. I am going with my bro this time around will be there this wens for 2 glorious weeks.

Dont feel uneasy about traveling the dam alone, plenty of good people from all over
Posted: 2006-07-28, 1:25 am

trapperjim
Greenhoff,
You seem to have been here a few times and noticed things that have been staring me in the face but I have overlooked.
I have seen Bloedstraat but cannot believe that these may be anything other than georgeous girls.
Amsterdam is my favourite most friendly city, can't wait to gert back there and have a drink in the Emmelot, and a steak in the Tango in Warmoestraat on Aug 18th.
Dare I risk a walk south down OZA & turn left?
Regards
TJ

Posted: 2006-07-28, 3:29 am

bigblackturkey
I'll echo the other replies by saying its absolutely no problem to do a solo trip. The city has so "much to offer" that u won't get bored. With that being said, my best trips tend to be those with a particular close friend as we've done several trips together and know how each other operates resulting in a non-intrusive style yet company is available when needed trip (e.g. during meals, coffee shops, etc) Plus doesn't hurt to have someone to share the memories and a good laugh.
Posted: 2006-07-28, 9:28 am

withnail Power Kat
just to make sure im understanding this correctly - the previous poster had not realised the girls on the bloedstraat were TS?! with respect youd have to be wearing a blindfold not to spot that one at some point over the last 10 years.

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-07-29, 1:11 am

jonny5
LOL !!!@!!!!!@@!!!

Withnail:

If the poster is American, I can understand.

American TS's are UGLY!!!!!!!!!

I have been to Dam 4 times and I was not fooled, but they are definitely a lot better looking than the ones in America! The Asian ones come very close to being undetectable.

Not my cup of tea, but most ARE pretty!

Oh yeah: 3 times alone and one time with a friend. It took me the first two trips to overcome the paranoia effect. But now I just want to go alone. No worries, no explaining why I want to go to the Wallen alone. It's just better.

My last trip was the best. I purposely tried to dress UNLIKE a tourist. I even have an AJAX t-shirt and two jerseys. Little did I know that would get me in trouble with a couple of BRITISH hooligans!

Thanks to the Nederlanders that came to my defense!!!!! I don't have time now, but I'll try to tell the whole story later.
Posted: 2006-08-04, 5:25 pm

CalicoJack
I must admit, I was suprised in my early days of mongering-on-the-Dam when one of the "young ladies" in Bloed gave me a flash of his package. At least he gave me fair warning, so respect to that. Not my cup of tea, but you have fun, Greenhof!

I am planning my annual pilgramage to the Wallen at the moment. Two mates and one broad minded female friend have potentially promised to accompany me (not all at the same time), but none of them have commited to a date... and before the NL weather starts to become too damp, I intend to go - possibly solo for the first time ever.

Previous trips have suffered from, albeit minor, "issues" with my chosen companion - be that snoring, early nights or tedious shopping... I am not daunted by the travelling, or staying, on my own. I don't get hammered on drink & drugs (just happy). I usually dress down from my usual eccentric style to something more bland.

Actually, the more I think of it, and with the comments in posts above, the more I'm thinking that going on my own is a good idea...

I'll probably be there for a few days somewhere between 21st - 27th August one way or another.

Let me know if anything exciting is happening!
Posted: 2006-08-05, 9:27 pm

ye i think it's a good idea
i mean it's nice to get away to a whole new world and take some time alone to chill out
 [ 31 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: