Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Sphinx Hotel - What's in the locale?
Posted: 2006-07-07, 12:51 am

Nitrostar
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Howdy y'all,

In October I shall be visiting Amsterdam for the third time, although it should be noted that my two previous visits were both for only a day. This time around, I am staying at the Sphinx Hotel (which I hear is a bit of a fleabag but I'd rather spend money on things other than accomodation) and so far I haven't been able to find any decent maps that give the location of the Sphinx and a list of nearby attractions. I can probably find my way to the RLD but I'd like to know if there is anything of interest in the locale to do in the evenings and at nights? Also, what are the nearest coffeeshops and how would they rate?

I'm also interested to know whether there are any WWII museums and/or historic sites anywhere in Amsterdam that would be worth visiting for somebody with an interest in history. I already hope to see the Anne Frank house but is there anything else I should try and see?

My friend and I are also interested in going to one of these famous live sex shows? Could somebody perhaps provide some info on the best ones to attend? And are they like bars, or just theatres?

I'm only going for three full days but I want to try and pack a lot in - more than I did last time which was a bit of a wasted trip (even though I did spend some time with a lovely, pleasant girl in the RLD) so I feel the need to make up for it this time. Also I plan on taking 500 euros? Will this be enough?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Re: Sphinx Hotel - What's in the locale?
Posted: 2006-07-07, 3:13 am

Larry
The Sphinx is on Weteringschans very near to Vijzelgracht. This is right across the canal from the Heineken Brewery (Experience). It's about a 5 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum and maybe twice that to Leidseplein. I always get a tram pass as it's about a 30 minute walk to the RLD.

Mellow Yellow and Coffeeshop Little are nearby but I don't know about them.

I always stay at the Hotel Kap which is right behind the Sphinx. You might compare it. The Kap is comfortable and cheap with a killer breakfast.

The Henny Salem mini market/ deli is good as is the snackbar around the corner- I think it's snackbar Paradise which is the last to close in the neighborhood.

As an experienced visitor you know the need to always be aware of where you're walking. The metro construction at Weteringcircuit (the nearby tram stops) has made it more dangerous especially coming back to the hotel. Keep an eye out for bicyclists, trams, buses, and autos coming from multiple directions. I've had a number of close calls- it's a high speed bicyclists cross town route with lots of riders even late at night.
Posted: 2006-07-07, 11:51 am

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-07-08, 1:29 am

Nitrostar
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll make a note of your suggestions.

I'm almost positive I've been to Rokerij on my last trip to Amsterdam. We arrived at night at went out to find a coffeeshop to kick back for a few hours and I'm pretty sure we came across this one. Is this the coffeeshop with the lounge-area at the back of the building, lots of tribal/African decor and imagery and mixes music between heavy metal and chill out/reggae? I remember enjoying it in there and we picked up a gram of something or other for 15 euros (it wasn't the cheapest stuff on the menu) which was pretty decent stuff - not too potent but smooth and good weed to kick back with and have a giggle for a couple of hours.
Posted: 2006-07-08, 2:57 pm

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The Dutch Resistance Museum
Plantage Kerklaan 61
1018 CX Amsterdam
020-620 25 35
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: